Thursday 5 July 2007

"Are You Dead?"

Doug & I were in St. Martins this past weekend for a much needed mini-vacation. One day as I was lying on the beach enjoying a bit of sleep and resting in the experience of sun, clouds and wind, I heard a bunch of children approaching. They were looking for beach treasures and continually called out to their mommies, advising them of their discoveries. I continued in my rest, not moving one muscle, I was so relaxed. Then I heard this sweet little voice ask, "Mommy, is she dead?" (referring to me). I did not hear the mother's response, but assumed she either did not hear her sweet child or ignored him.

A few moments passed and I felt a presence hovering over me. I opened my eyes and found myself looking up at a 4 or 5 year old boy holding a piece of seaweed, peering at me intently.

"Do you think I'm dead?" I asked. He nodded yes, not saying a word (a tad scared, I thought).

"I'm not dead," I replied. "I'm just resting." His mother, by now noticing that her precious boy was not near her, shouted, "Did he throw something at you?" I shouted back, "No, he thinks I'm dead. But I'm not dead."

With that, I closed my eyes and continued in my reverie. And I suppose the boy moved on.

I chuckled about it later, as I realized that I am dead! And here's why...

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me" (Gal 2:2).

"In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus" (Rom 6:11).

I also have been thinking about how we need to be 'dead to self.'

I would appreciate any comments on being 'dead.'

No comments: