Saturday 8 December 2012

Sermons and Parties


Got home at 10:30 tonight from the birthday party at Jon & Alicia's in Bristol.  On the way up today, I  worked on my sermon while driving in the car, on the TransCanada highway, with lap desk and computer.  it was wonderful.  Told Doug he should take me for a drive every week and say, "Deb, it's time to write your sermon" -- no interruptions, just me and him and the Spirit of God.  We stopped at the sugar bush and Doug walked in the forest to help Steven and Jon put on a roof on the sugar shack.  I stayed in the car and worked on my sermon -- in a random field by the sugar bush, in the land of my ancestors (my great great great grandparents are buried next to the field I was writing in).   And to think I was writing a sermon in a field about shepherds in a field.  Then I took a break and walked to the sugar bush to see a steel roof.

Before traveling to Bristol, we decided to visit the Pioneer cemetery at the end of the road where my ancestors, James and Jane Page, were buried.  They came from Ireland in the potato famine.  This led Doug and I to travel to another cemetery up the road in Williamstown to traverse through yet another graveyard.  We've been doing this a lot lately, as Doug is into geneaology of late, and I take pictures.  Seems weird, but I guess it's something you do in middle age.  Oh, I'm admitting this!

Then on to Croy's birthday party....mayhem -- 9 children under 7, plus two sets of grandparents and Becky&Steven, Natalie & Sean, Jon & Alicia.  Alicia made monster (monstie cupcakes) for Croy.   looked like little cookie monsters....he holds up two fingers -- and smiles... Ate pizza and pizza dip and cake & homemade ice cream, veggies and coffee and birthday cake.  Sang carols with me at the piano, Afton at the piano, Jack even played.  Kalia and Afton sang "Twelve Days of Christmas" to the top of their lungs while I tried to accompany them.  It wasn't your traditional song, however, but the Canadian book, Porcupine in a Pine Tree, complete with Canadiana and RCMP officers.  It's a great book.  My Natalie gave it to them a couple of years ago.  

I played on the floor with several children with horsie and fire trucks and excavators.  Came home to print out my Sunday sermon -- no ink.  Oh well, there must be ink in somebody's printer.

Happy Birthday, Croy....you are 2 today!

'Am Deb and Papa'"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. :) And I don't think genealogy is a "middle age" thing. I really enjoy learning about mine! :)

Krista