Monday 9 August 2010

Is it Monday?

It's Monday, and I haven't written since last Wednesday. Wow, time flies when you're having fun. I'm currently at home on this rainy Monday morning, but not for long.

We left St. Martins last Thursday morning. We had a difficult time leaving St. Martins, so we didn't leave for two hours after leaving Century Farms campground. We took pictures of the old houses, a private tour of the restaurant/inn on the hill (no one was on duty that we could see in the gift shop or dining room, so we walked around and had a viewing of an amazing house), another viewing of the house with many colours on Main Street where a potter and artist reside, a trip to Jimmer's Shack to buy pottery, and a foray into a used book shop in West Quaco, which was an experience in itself. Natalie entered the house, took a couple of whiffs and started to feel sick, but I told her she had to buy a book before she left. So she grabbed a child's book of the shelf and told the woman, "she'll take care of this," and out she went to the fresh air. The woman watched me like a hawk as I meandered through the nooks and crannies of the store, trying to find a book I might like, which usually is not difficult, but it was this day, no doubt because of the smell. I finally found "Mathematics for the Million," a book from 1933 or something, which Jon is now reading and enjoying immensely. He loves Math. I do, too, but it is heavy reading, for sure. Last year I thought I wanted to teach Math as a new career because in mathematics, you can find the answers and solve the problems, unlike life and what it throws at you.

Near noon, we finally decided it was time to leave our homeland, and we made the half hour trek by car into the city. But we didn't just pass through the city -- I decided to treat Natalie to a four hour tour of Saint John, so she could get a new appreciation of 'Europe' like I did last year. We had a great time, touring in the rain in Saint John. We stayed the day there, as Doug told me it was 37 or something inland! Coming back to Fredericton was like re-entering earth again. Took some time to get adjusted (I'm still not adjusted and it's Monday).

Friday found us home, doing laundry and getting ready to go again. I got my locks cut, the eye doctor, and tried out a Jeep. Natalie went to dinner at the DuBois' and Doug and I went out to supper at Jungle Jim's and had jungle food. We went to pick up Nat at 9 pm and got trapped inside Marysville Baptist Church at a yard sale in the gym. Wow -- we both were amazed at the finds we found. Natalie came home with a huge trash bag of girls' clothes. Hope she has a girl! Start praying.

Saturday we took off to Jon and Alicia's house in Bristol (1 1/2 hour drive). I played trucks and crafts with the kids, hammered and drilled with Jack, and ate. Doug and Jon made a mitre-saw table. Nat & Jon started to make steps for Jon's shed. Doug and I came home late. We left Nat & Aiden there.

Sunday morning I preached and led music at Morning Gate church. Good to be back there. Haven't been there since May 9th! I guess I 've been travelling and vacationing since then. After church, we took off up river again to spend more time with the children and grandchildren. We arrived to see six little children sitting at the table eating their lunch (Becky & Stephen's girls were there, too). More food, a cup of tea, Perfect 10 game with Nat & Alicia, naps for little ones, and a bunch of us piling into Jon's new Eurovan. He put the bed down in the back of the van, and we piled in there and talked for awhile and laughed. Even laughing about us lying down in a van in the driveway when we could be sitting in the living room. Jon told me that when he's home for more than a couple of hours, he wants to get going somewhere. Jon and Alicia are just like us -- they always want to camp somewhere.

We had the brilliant idea of ice cream, so it was pack up and pile into three vehicles for the mass of kids we had, and off we went to Coldstream about 4 pm (wherever that is). To Doreen's canteen, where the portion sizes are huge. We ate our ice cream by the Becaguimec stream. Sitting in the heart of Coldstream, down at the corner, where I spent much time in my early years. Good to be home there again. I have many homes. I'm at home wherever I am, I think.

Back up the hill to the homestead, and we saw the Pirate out plowing his field with a John Deere tractor. So we stopped and talked to him for awhile. Good to see him again. Said he was leveling out his field to make an amphitheatre for outdoor concerts. Sounds good to me. Told him we would stop in when we had more time to talk.

Back to Bristol again for another couple of hours. Doug had a sleep in the car to prepare for the drive home. He tried sleeping on the couch, but the babies won't leave him alone. They kept jumping on him, so he escaped. I didn't know where he went to, and called him on his cell, and woke him up. The poor man just can't get rested! We finally left and traveled back to Superior City. It's a good thing we don't mind driving. We've been driving ever since we met. It's what we love to do most, I think. Just drive. Like Forest Gump walks, we drive.

This morning, I'm going to drive down to Samaria House to teach Bible to the young women in the recovery program there. At 11:30, I have my three month blood test and at 2 pm, I see Dr. Broad, my family doctor in oncology. Would appreciate your prayers that everything is EXCELLENT.

I may decide to drive back up to Bristol and stay the night this time, bringing Natalie and Aiden home on Tuesday night. This week, we plan on making pickles. Friday we leave for Grand Manan overnight for Q's son's wedding on Saturday. Then to Campobello for the week for Mother's Camp. Alicia and brood are also coming. More driving. But I love it.

Must go eat breakie so I can go drive again. Thanks for listening.

No comments: