Tuesday 12 June 2012

Road Trip

I had an amazing recital last night at Corbett Avenue Wesleyan Church. I had over 30 students this year (lost count at some point). There were probably 150 people there last night for this music extravanganza. Piano, guitar, singing, drama, even musical theatre. Ryan Legere, a previous student of mine, played an amazing rendition of "Majesty" that made his ol' teacher cry. I bowed before him and kissed his hand at the end. So amazing when a student surpasses the teacher. I taught Ryan for 11 years. And he almost quit! So many cute students playing and singing...Rodeo was very popular, with cowboy boots and hats. The youngest student was 6 years old and the oldest -- ? They were so cute! I even bought a can of lemonade from Ella Christie after she played "Lemonade Stand." The whole 1 1/2 hours was like this -- very entertaining. And much humour. Of course, I am a ham myself. I try to relax the crowd. One of the parents called me a comedian. LOL All the children were so cool and collected -- hardly anyone made a mistake, and if they did, no big deal. I played a lot of duets with them as well. The guitar players were amazing as well, including Jared Cook, who crooned, "Have You Ever Seen the Rain." Will Marshall and I played "Surfin' USA," and of course I had to sing. Nahum Collicott played "Margaritaville" on his guitar, and of course, I had to sing that song, too. These guitar players will eventually get the courage to sing in front of me, and then an audience. It's a process. Family Christie was a hit as were my two adult students, Laura Christie and Ann Hetherington. Very proud of them. Missed Cousin Els, another adult student, who was home recuperating from an operation. I'm sure she would have been a hit, too. So nice to see the older students performing with the younger. Sarah MacLoon and I performed "Down by the Bay" and "Dancing Queen" at the end of the night. I danced -- the Dancing Queen danced, with her Dancing Queen t-shirt. One of my young students told me later, "Mrs. Mac, you can dance!" YES! I knew it all along. Sarah really hammed up the song as I danced... Children are wonderful, and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to be in their lives and have them in mine. They truly are my family. Now to celebrate the end of my teaching year, I'm treating myself to a ROAD TRIP, starting this morning. Off to Saint John to meet with a record producer at 2:00 pm, on to Nurse Cherry's for the night. Tomorrow takes me to Moncton to meet with a couple of people, back to Saint John to meet with others. Thursday morning is a mini-retreat with a few girlfriends at a random country church somewhere between Norton and Sussex. Then back home for Thursday night. Let's hit the road, Jack!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. :) Wish I could take piano lessons from you...maybe someday.

Love,
Krista

Judy Q said...

Deb, You could add Bless The Lord, O My Soul" to your upcoming CD & it would be a big hit. You do that song better than anyone I've ever heard........you have a voice of an Angel. When you sang it on Sunday, it caused the hair on our arms to rise. All the music & the service/message was wonderful...one of the best we've heard in a long while. Very inspirational. Thank You. Love hearing you......do come back. Judy Q x

Unknown said...

Thank you, Judy Q! Appreciate your kind words, and yours, too, Krista!