Sunday 12 February 2012

Doug and I traveled to Bristol for Snow Blast, and that it was -- a blast of icy wind and snow all day, but beautiful, nonetheless. Doug backpacked Croy across the snow in the village square; the other kids went on a John Deere hay ride without the hay. I saw my niece, Kristen, en route and hugged her. My sister, alas, was no where to be seen. Probably at home out of the cold. We trekked up to Afton & Jack's elementary school and escaped inside, where we entered a planetarium, a huge circular tent planted there by Science East. We enjoyed a space star planet show inside. Doug was in his glory, I think, watching the constellations. In St. Martins, every night we watch the stars and await the 10:30 pm satellite to fly by. (It's one of Doug's highlights of the summer sky). After the planetarium, we made soap carvings out of Jergens soap. Yes, and Papa Doug carved one, too -- a moose. (What is wrong with my husband?) Jack and I worked on a hen, and Afton carved a whale. Jergens flying everywhere -- hard not to feel like you worked in a soap factory. Jack was so excited about this new craft, that we went to the Dollar store and then the Co-Op to find more soap, but all I could find was Ivory. But it works, and at their house, we continued the creations. Doug carved a transport truck with a load of wood and Jack made all sorts of things, including a bathtub.

Then some colouring with crayons and pastels, and hot chocolate to warm us up. I was into colouring, having coloured with Kim's daughter, Shayla, the night before at their house. Very therapeutic.

Then it was birthday time for Afton yet again, with our present -- a dollhouse and accoutrements. Afton and Ivy LOVED the dollhouse and the Barbie fridge and fake food. Jack loved it, too. After set-up, we began to build the dollhouse plantation with all sorts of dolls and furniture, including cardboard stairs that Afton made. Jack and I made an outside BBQ out of Lego. Ivy made a truck out of Lego. Croy was sleeping and Alicia cooking. Doug was snoring. I was lying on the floor in front of the fireplace on the big bear rug. What could be finer than to be warmed up by a fire in the winter? (Jon was doing camp interviews = he is the director of Camp Shiktehawk).

After a couple of hours, Alicia and I ventured out with Afton, Jack and Ivy, leaving Croy home with the Papa. It was 5 pm, dusk was a' comin', but that didn't stop us from our goal of cross country skiing in the woods with the children -- their FIRST day of cross country skiing. The Shiktehawk trail -- along the creek and around and around in the woods -- a loop of sorts. I hadn't been on skiis for 4 years, but it's like riding a bike, right?

I didn't fall and did fine, but Jack fell repeatedly, and after about half an hour into the trail, and picking him up repeatedly, I suggested we turn back. Alicia thought it wasn't too much longer til the loop finished, so we kept going. It was getting darker and darker. I was in the lead with Afton and let Alicia pick up the Jack. We had to take off our skiis twice and walk up mini mountains. The kids were getting scared because it was dark, and THEN I saw the lumber yard and knew where we were -- but how much longer? We made it out -- back to the elementary school and Alicia skiied to where the van was. It was quite an adventure and we figured Papa would be worried, which he was, but moreso he was dealing with what to feed Croy and his dirty diaper. Yes! He did fine, though -- I clapped when I found out he had to change Croy. When there's no one around but Papa, Papa it is. Proud of you, Papa.

We had a wonderful roast beef stew for supper, and then J & A went out and we kept the children. Or should I say, I kept the children while Doug slept. He needed to, for we left Bristol at 11:30 -- in the snow and it snowed harder and harder as we neared Woodstock. I slept, and it's a good thing or we might have been off the road. At least that's what Doug said -- he's a great driver and we made it home safe and sound at 1:30 in the morning. A late night, for sure.

Adventures left and right -- and we DO live in New Brunswick.

Seize each day that God has given you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day! Glad Doug can change a diaper. ;) Reminds me of one of the times when my dad changed Josh's diaper. He put it on backwards. :P Oh well, at least he did it!