Monday 28 May 2012

Weekend Adventures

The weekend was another adventure -- this time to Bristol-Florenceville, the great metropolis in Carleton County, land of the potato field, Covered Bridge chips, the longest covered bridge in the world!, and the Jonathan MacDonald family. Friday night we camped out in their driveway, and at 0800 on Saturday morning, 'knock' 'knock' at the RV door...in comes Afton, Ivy, and Chef Jack, who proceeded to make our breakfast. So cute! They love the 'Big Rig,' as Ivy has always called it. Now Croy likes the Big Rig, too. Saturday found us at the Florenceville Baptist Church at a volleyball tournament, where they were raising money for Camp Shiktehawk. Jon was playing, and I cheered and bellowed quite a few times for my little boy (although he is six feet tall). Afton kept looking at me and laughing. I think she was a bit surprised that Gram Deb would be a cheerleader. Saturday evening, Doug and I went hiking: a 96 acre farm, uphill all the way. What a view from the top -- Mars Hill, Moose Mountain..I felt like Heidi and wished I had a donkey by the time we were at the top. After our descent, we had tea, cake and salmon sandwiches with the owners of the farm and learned about their lives. Jim and Veina Brown -- stop in sometime; I'm sure they would love to have you. We went back to the RV in the MacDonald campground and watched Don Cherry on our 5 inch black & white television. Fun. Sunday morning we fired up the motorhome and drove to Lindsay. Ever been there? Beautiful...more green fields laced with dandelions, rolling hills and a view of Moose Mountain, Mars Hill AND Mount Katahdin. Jon was speaking at Lindsay Baptist Church -- a promo for Camp Shiktehawk. Great speaker he is...I knew several people there, from the retreats I've done, and the radio show. We love everywhere we go. We were invited out to lunch at Heidi & Charles Brigg's house up the road. I fell in love with their house and their view. Jon & Alicia and the kids were there as well. After a great lunch, we headed out for a land-looking adventure in Jon's Multivan. We decided that was too far from Bristol to live, so abandoned the search. We want to live up there sometime (we think), so we've been on this land searching hunt for over a year. It may be a pipe dream, or a real dream, don't know. Doug and I like to delay coming home because we love being in the RV so much. So, we stopped at the Mactaquac Dam and had a sleep before venturing home early evening. Then friends came over til it was time for bed. A full weekend full of people, sports, beautiful land, children and LOVE.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't want you to move out there! I hardly ever see you as it is! :( That being said, you should take a trip out to Harvey Station soon. ;) There are houses for sale out here! Beautiful place, I'm finally feeling content here...

Krista