Tuesday 19 October 2010

Art Lessons?

I went to my second watercolour art lesson today at the Seniors Centre here in Superior City. Yes, the Seniors Centre. I admit it. I've been watching the activities in the newspaper for a couple of years now, and thought, "when I get to 50, I'm going to take advantage of the inexpensive activities that seniors get to do." However, this $25. for six week watercolour class is inexpensive but the lessons are difficult! What made me think of taking art lessons, anyway? Musicality? The right side of the brain working, as in music? That I could be a 'paint artist' like a music artist? My teacher is hard on us, and we're a bit timid of her and her analysis of our work

How hard IS a tree to paint in watercolour? Very difficult. Erase, erase, wash, wash, start over again. Sitting there scared that the teacher is going to come view my work. She only gives compliments when we 'deserve' them, she said. No placating us, for sure. There are three women who don't know how to paint in the class, but at least they painted a tree on their painting. I got watercolour blobs, and learned about Chinese brush strokes. How is this going to help me in my life? I went there to do something for myself, enjoy a couple of hours painting, not leave stressed to the max! I told her I didn't know if I could master the art of watercolour, and she gave me a lecture on whether my students learn a musical instrument in the first couple of lessons. She's got a point. I wonder if I'll go back, but she loaned me a brush, so I have to return it. Unless I do a drive-by throwing of the paintbrush on the Seniors Centre lawn with a note attached: "I'm NOT an ARTIST!....Deb"

I went to Mom's for help after my fiasco. She got the paints out and doctored up the painting. I think I'll learn from her and her painting buddies. At least they're not so hard on me, a budding artist.

Tomorrow morning we head for Saint John again, bright and very early. My yearly check-up with Dr. Grant, my radiation oncologist. She'll look at my chest and examine it. Don't know what she looks at, cause I look at it everyday. Would appreciate your prayers, once again.

Love to all and to all a good night.

!Deb, Artiste Extraordinaire (not)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stick with Mom. The other teacher reminds me of that Seinfeld episode(if you know what I mean lol)

Love, SS Sis