Sunday 3 October 2010

Kermit the Frog here, Roving Reporter...Oh, it's me, Deb, reporting the last few days. So much has happened and I've been everywhere, man! And seen a lot of places and a lot of people!

Thursday morning at Smythe Street Bible study where I taught for a few minutes (did I already say this, forgive me?). The afternoon was spent getting ready and cookin' up a storm for a big ol' pot luck here at The Soul Cafe. Bunch of people in the house, and a myriad of activities after the meal: Amy and Robin singin' at the piano with Sam listening; Doug teaching Fr. Jon Garage Band on the Mac (interesting, Mr. Mac teaching a Mac); E. sketching at the table, inspiring us all; conversation in the living room; food flying everywhere (figuratively), opera out on the deck, radio show demo upstairs, etc. etc. Had to be here. Wish you were! Come over anytime, seriously.

Friday morning was Bible study here at the house with the women. Teaching Romans and does it ever stretch the brain! Then the BEADY bunch piano (less the 'B,", so I guess it's the 'EADY' bunch). A trip over town to Tony's Music Box (my favorite store outside of Zellers) and then home again to get ready for another trip in the RV. This time, to Pine Cone Campground in Penobsquis, wherever that is. Actually just outside Sussex.

And it rained. And it poured. And our RV was solid and lovely to hear the rain. A get away in a near-empty campground, although Angie, Kelly and Ang were just around the corner, but we couldn't go out in the rain to see them.

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear, so by lunch time we decided to have a walking tour of downtown old Sussex. A stop at the health food store for some unpasteurized honey, paprika gouda, and gluten-free goodies, and we were on our way back to the car. But alas, we went by Morris Music and I succumbed to the temptation to go inside. And the rest is history. You can imagine what happened when I get in a music store. Let's just say after a few negotations, we jumped in the car at 2 pm and headed towards Fredericton to pick up one of my guitars to bring back to trade. We were back by 5. Good thing we like to drive. Thanks, Jessie, for staying open longer so we could spend money.

On to a benefit concert at Bethany Bible College for Almira, who is still in hospital in Saint John. She is in her last chemo (hopefully) for lymphoma, and then on to bone marrow transplant. Our prayers are still going up for her. The concert was beautiful, and the new chapel there has unbelievable acoustics. It was very near to my heart and moving for me, as last year I was the recipient of a benefit concert (two, actually). Almira was too weak to attend, but watched via livestream video from her hospital bed. Get well, Almira! Cheryl, Brenda and Connor were there as well as Melissa.

We went back to the RV and I played with my guitar(s) and amplifiers while Doug went to sleep. My music puts him to sleep for some reason. Come to think of it, Doug has been sleeping ever since I met him (not all the time, just every evening for a time; he's a very relaxed type of guy. 'Guy Smiley,' I like to call him sometimes).

This morning, another beautiful daybreak. We took off up the road to Central Penobsquis to the Baptist Church, where we heard Dr. Rev. Neville Gosman give a fantastic sermon on "Does God Exist?" It was awesome and part #2 is next week, however, I found out you can go on-line and hear his sermons. He is a wonderful teacher.

After some lunch at the RV, it was time to leave Pinecone. The park brought back memories of Doug's childhood when he and his family trailered there while his father was working for Diamond Construction on a road or something. We were going to go to St. Martins if we couldn't get in, but they had many sites. After all, it is October! Thanks, Linda and Byard, for looking out for us, even though we never showed!

We hightailed it down the highway towards Saint John and stopped in Norton at Wayne and Angie's house. Kelly and Jamie were there (not Jamie Hall, Jamie Sutherland! inside joke), and we had a great meal together. Thanks, girls. And Angie even made me gluten-free apple crumble, which they thought tasted horrible, but I absolutely and thoroughly enjoyed. She sent me home with the remainder. Yeah! It definitely is an acquired taste, but hey, when you are used to it, it's normal.

Of course, we all sat around the living room and the eight, yes 8! children played inside outside and all around. We tried to solve the world's problems and get to know each other. It was awesome, and we hope to do it again in November. I adopted Angie and Kelly as daughters awhile ago, so it's good to actually see them and 'my grandchildren' every so often!

Now we're home and trying to sell both of our vehicles -- whichever one sells first. Perhaps we'll end up without two vehicles and I'll have to walk everywhere. Oh well, we'll see.

Natalie has been training Aiden all weekend and updating me via email. Must go call and get an update.

And that's the last few days, folks. Tomorrow I'm getting special visitors -- Laureen and her mother Marlene, who read the blog and have been so encouraging to me (as everyone has, of course). Marlene had breast cancer a few years ago and lives out west and is home for a visit. I've never actually met Marlene, just on the phone, so it will be good to catch up.

No comments: