Tuesday 12 October 2010

Thanksgiving on the Farm

I could go on and on about the weekend. It was awesome. We counted 50 people there throughout the weekend. Here are some highlights:
FRIDAY NIGHT -- music night at the Pirate's house. Different music for different folks: country, gospel, kids. Deb and Aunt Helen showed off their incredible dancing skills as they step danced with the kids. The Pirate sang his Waylon and Willie songs with a bit of CCR thrown in. Jon and Stephen sang a wonderful rendition of "I'm My Own Grandpa." Granny Mom crooned a couple of hymns. Brenda, Mary, the Pirate and I blasted out "Hey Jude" like nobody's business. And so on and on and on. Afton made her debut on the piano with the band, playing along like she'd been playing for years. She told her mom she wants to be like Gram Deb (isn't that sweet?). I went to bed way after 1 a.m. I could have played all night. The Pirate and I love to play well into the night. After the party, the Southshore Sister and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman (the Pirate's sister) climbed into one attic (two women in their 40's acting like kids) and frantically tried to scare Amy and her friends in the other attic, although they never heard the commotion they were making.

SATURDAY -- a car rally to Cloverdale, and out the Little Forks, past our previously owned cottage. Funeral Director Wayne, the Pirate's brother, led the way with his van and managed to get us lost several times. Well, he'd only been there once and believe you me, it was very complicated to find where we wanted to go (much more difficult, I'm sure, than embalming a body). We finally arrived and hiked up to Chimney Rock, an enormous rock in the midst of a gully in the forest. Later, we traveled to Balancing Rock and had a potluck picnic. The younger men climbed the tall rock formation that was balanced on the ground and then they proceeded to jump off the rock utilizing a birch tree that was adjacent to the rock. Why do boys like doing this? The challenge was tremendous and not for the faint of heart. I'll try and post a pic when Embalmer Wayne sends them to me. It was a very cold day, and not for the faint of heart. The tea sure tasted good out in the woods.

After arriving home, we prepared the vegetables for supper and the kids painted pumpkins. The teenagers basically had a pool tournament all weekend. The food and desserts were tremendous and there was no lack of fare on which to feast. Auntie & Uncle's house was invaded by people eating, playing, sleeping all weekend long. It was good to see everyone, and spend time with each other. Take note of the three sisters -- Deb, Brenda and Janet. Good to see Janet again.

Capture the Flag on Saturday night proved to be a most interesting game. Right at the start of the game, I ran after Stephen, and he ran into a tree (note the picture below and the tree he ran into). Later, I was run over by cousin Jordan, as I reached out to tag him. As I lay on the ground with the stars above and the stars swirling around my head (pre-concussion, I think), Alicia came over and remarked to Brenda, "I was hoping that was you lying there, and not Deb!" (I think because of my recent carpal tunnel surgery, perhaps, and Brenda's general good health to endure such an attack from a teenager). I felt like I was run over by a truck all weekend, and am just now recovering. I had to play the game. I refuse to get old and have to keep up with my son and the other young ones. It is such an exciting game; the suspense of running and tagging people in the dark.. Makes you feel like a kid again. Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman sauntered like a model through the darkness, getting caught every time we noticed her. The Southshore Sister was in suspense throughout the game and ran like the wind. We're not getting older, we're getting braver playing these kids' games! Every year we have injuries. Good thing we have Nurse Amy (Funeral Director Wayne's daughter). We certainly do NOT want to use the Funeral Director's services. I said that next year, we need to pray first and then play the game.

Sunday morning took some of us to church. I was in so much pain, and Stephen looked worse. Our own fault, I know. Home for a BBQ with everyone. The Flintstones (well, at least they looked like the cartoon) took a ride on the Mule with their children. Uncle is pretty proud of his new four-wheel-drive machine. The Pirate took Brenda and I up the hill to his garden and we gleaned quite a harvest. People started to disperse from the hill, but some of us stayed. A Scrabble tournament at the kitchen table provided much conversation and arguing over the rules. Score: Funeral Director Wayne and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman at 147, Granny at 133, Southshore Sister at 131 and me at 129. Dr. Quinn massaged our shoulders at the table and got out her magic herbal wonder balm to sooth our wounds. We remarked that we didn't want to use the Funeral Director's embalming balm.

Anyway, Doug and I stayed til Monday afternoon and brought the RV home, thinking that this is the last trip for this season. These were just the highlights and I'm sure I'm forgetting things. All in all, it was a wonderful 3rd annual Thanksgiving Harvest Weekend. Looking forward to the next one.

No comments: