Monday 11 July 2011

Should I stay here forever??

One day before Jonathan turns 31. Can you imagine? Can I imagine? My baby boy who has all these babies himself is in his 30's! And Natalie turns 30 on July 23rd. Oh dear, I feel old. I'm sure they do, too.

St. Martins -- still not tired of this place. Could I, would I, should I? Doug left this morning at 0500 to travel back to Freddytown to work for a couple of days. Comes back on Wednesday for another long weekend for him.

I walked the beach this morning down to the harbor and sat there watching the waves, the boats, the covered bridges, the gift shops, people walking, people passing with smile after smile. Oh, sounds like a song I won't sing right now. Too early. Sat there on the bench in front of the shipbuilder placard. Just sat. And prayed. Prayed for lots of things. Thankful that I'm here and that God has given me the opportunity to be here for so long. Prayed for St. Martins, that the village will continue on and thrive and retain its charm and peace. I was even overwhelmed with emotion about the village. I've been coming here since the 90's -- has a very special place in my heart. I think Granny feels the same way. She's having a great time with Jed. I don't think she wants to go home, either.

The water flowing into the cove from the ocean reminded me of the corrugated cardboard in the fire last night (our Greco pizza box burning). Here's what the water looked like:

"The water soothed itself towards me like liquid corrugated cardboard." Quite a sentence, eh? Waxing poetic.

I need new earrings -- mine are tarnished. I'm almost embarrassed to wear them. No silver polish down here or jewellery cleaner. So I've taken them off. Only brought one pair with me. Trying to live simply you know. Can I really go earringless? I feel naked without them. Oh well, I guess I could -- I was bald not too long ago. What's a naked ear, anyway? Perhaps Elaine could craft me new earrings out of the sea glass we find. I'll have to ask her.

I feel like a Bobbsey twin, down at the sea, sea starin' at me, me starin' at the sea.

Been here 12 days now -- five more to go. Granny and I have been playing Scrabble mostly every day. I was on a losing streak for awhile and was concerned as to why. But the past four games I have won. Last night -- 90 points on one word: 'yarding,' hooked onto another word -- used all my letters on a double word score. My score 381, about 40 ahead of Granny. She's wondering what's happening and says that SHE is going to win today. We'll see about that.

I think I'm now relaxing and able to focus on words -- even did a couple of Cryptoquotes out of the newspaper, something I've never been able to do before. And read -- I can focus. The ocean is good for helping one relax.

Must go eat an omelette and salad I made for lunch, cup of green tea with ginseng and astragulus. Doesn't that sound yummy, now?

Signing off from the sea....I remain

Deb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Heaven on earth. I wish I could be there as well.
But no, you should not stay forever, I'd miss you too much!

Krista

Anonymous said...

I miss you Mama. I called Dad on his cell phone today just to hear someone's voice :) I hope you're having a great time and how I wish I were there with you. Love Nat