Sunday 11 April 2010

Coldstream, Wherever That Is

After a busy Saturday cleaning up the basement, having lunch at the Sunshine Diner (yes, Sandra, we really did), visiting my parents and Doug's mom, it was only 6:30 pm and we sat in our driveway and looked at each other. Where to? Not in the house, that's for sure, because we have a deep desire to travel the countryside and see where we end up. Why not go to Coldstream and see the Pirate, we asked each other? So within 15 minutes, I was all packed with overnight bag in hand and we went over hill and dale to the Pirate's house. Haven't seen the Pirate and Marie since Thanksgiving, but within five minutes of entering their abode, Doug had an amp hooked up and we both had guitars in hand, singing and picking away. Stayed the evening with them and went down over the hill to Wayne & Bev's for more conversation til way after midnight. Doug and I tried to sleep in one bed, but after I had no success falling asleep, even though I played air hockey and math brain exercises on my IPod (it's still working, Penny), I headed for the couch for the night. I love their house as it brings back memories of when I was young. It used to be Uncle Glen & Aunt Marie's house. I feel comfortable and at home there. Waking up this morning with the sun streaming in and the glistening water of the duck pond, surrounded by the hedges we played Capture the Flag around brought back fond memories of Thanksgiving and my mind went WAY back to my childhood and memories playing on the hill. I looked 'way up, Rusty' to my grandparents' house on the hill, with the stained glass windows in the third floor attic. My goodness, I'm waxing poetic tonight, am I not?

Our plan was to go to Bristol to spend the day with Jon & Alicia, but we made a couple of pitstops before we got there at 2:30 in the afternoon -- back to the Pirates to ask ONE question about steel beams that Doug saw (he is building a trailer for next summer's trip across Canada; think BIG). That question turned into many, and he and the Pirate were into deep conversation, because the Pirate and Doug are deep men. Men of the deep perhaps I should say. Finally around noon, I took off across the yard towards my grandparents' house to see Uncle F and Aunt H. Doug joined me and we ate lunch there (even though we had a snack at the Pirate's). We like to make our way around the hill buffet.

We finally made it to Bristol (Carlow, if you want specificity). We spent the afternoon by the fire (Jon built it for me), had a short nap, watched the antics of the kids, conversation, and later I got on the floor and taught Afton how to add and subtract. I was the teacher and she was the student, and she got all A's. We used plastic Easter Eggs and an assortment of toys for her to add to and subtract from and she solved all the equations I threw at her (e.g., 6+3-2 = ___). I was totally floored that she could do this. She starts kindergarten in the fall. Her Mom is going to home school her. She is very smart, and I'm her grandmother.

Now it's 10:30 and I wonder if anyone is up to talk to me. Must call Natalie and a mystery person. Good night Pirate. Thanks for everything. Keep shooting from the hip.

No comments: