Thursday 3 June 2010

O.T.

Today, I went to the OT department at the hospital to have splints made for my carpal tunnel arms and tenosynovitis arms (inflammation and pain). I took the OT Director with me and she watched the OT girl make the splints. Perhaps she could set up a splint shop, since there is a great need for it. My referral to OT was in January and this is June and I just got in. Anyway, the OT Director was observing closely to learn how to make splints for people like me.

Then we walked over to the Rehab where Doug works, and he was having his own OT experience driving down the halls with his new invention: a Lazy Boy powered by a wheelchair. Yes, my dear husband made this new motorized vehicle. The base is a wheelchair and an actual full-size Lazy Boy chair is sitting atop the contraption. You should see Doug fly through the halls, powered by the joystick that he mounted on the arm of the chair. The patients are getting jealous and the staff enjoy occasional rides as well. There's talk that his invention may show up on Friday at the legislature as it is disability awareness week or something like that. My husband -- always inventing, and you can tell that he is on the countdown to retirement (Feb. 9/11 he is eligible).

OT day -- making our lives more comfortable. Tonight we had a gathering and later on the sewing machine came out as one of the girls sewed a pillow for her nephew, others ate chocolate macaroons (I made some because I announced today on the radio show that it was Chocolate Macaroon Day, and it would be hypocrisy not to make them, wouldn't it?), and others talked and laughed. We love having lots of action here at the Soul Cafe.

Friday morning brings another gathering as we study Romans and have a pot luck for lunch. What will I do now? The macaroons are consumed. Perhaps it will be Banana Bread Day tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pictures of the lazy boy powered wheelchair please?????? that is soooooooooooooo Doug! We love him!