Monday 25 January 2010

My Arms & Wrists

Last Thursday, I had nerve conduction studies on my arms and wrists at the EMG department at DECH. Dr. Poole told me that I have severe carpal tunnel syndrome in my right arm and carpal tunnel syndrome in my left arm. The technician hooked me up to electrodes and proceeded to 'shock' the nerves in my arms many times. I was glad that was over! Then he told me that I also have de Quervains Tenosynovitis in my left wrist. It has been hurting severely for two weeks now. Here is the description of that condition...

What is tenosynivitis?
Tenosynivitis is inflammation of the sheath that surrounds a tendon as opposed to inflammation of the actual tendon itself (tendinitis or tendonitis). de Quervain's tenosynivitis is inflammation of the synovium of the abductor pollicis longus and extensor pollicis longus muscles as they pass through the wrist (on the thumb side of the wrist). It occurs more frequently in racket sports such as tennis, squash or badminton as well as canoing and ten pin bowling. It also occurs in golfers (left thumb of a right handed golfer and vice versa). Tendon injuries such as this are often labelled with the umbrella term RSI (repetitive strain injury).

So, he prescribed a consultation with an occupational therapist for a splint for my left wrist, and a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see about 'carpal tunnel release surgery.' It never rains but it pours, I guess.

Sometimes I think, why? But I keep going. Would appreciate your prayers for my body! And my feet ache like crazy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh ouch! Prayers for you! (((hugs)))

Krista