Friday 29 January 2010

SHELBURNE ADVENTURES

We are in Shelburne, NS at Brenda's. Doug, Nat, Aiden and moi. We traveled here yesterday, through all kinds of weather, but nothing serious. Today it has been snowing to beat the band, whatever that means. We enjoyed an amazing meal last night of Sweet Potato Fries with Curry Dip, Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potatoes, Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese (my favorite), Haddock with Orange Sauce, and Broccoli with special sauce. As I went to Sobeys in my van to buy the goat cheese, I knew just where to get it in the store, and realized how many grocery stores I've been in in the Maritimes. I love grocery stores. Haven't a clue why, other than the variety that is available, and I like variety. I posted a couple of recipes on the recipe section of my website, and will try to post some more. Check out Nurse Cherry's Greek Salsa recipe as well.

After considerable time getting ready this morning, we piled Baby Aiden in the van and started our adventure -- to the big mall (not) to the Bargain Store and Sobeys once more to buy this evening's meal ingredients. Nat tried out a new harness on Aiden, but he really didn't like it much, and ended up on the floor most of the time in protest. I grabbed a cart and wheeled him around. We went to The Beandock, one of my favorite places to have coffee, and I had a gluten-free Greek pizza. Nat had French Onion soup, and Brenda had a bagel with smoked salmon. Aiden ordered grilled cheese, but ended up going home with Papa as he didn't really like the sit-down requirement at a restaurant.

After lunch we had a stop at Spencer's, a garden centre extraordinaire. I bought Brenda's birthday present there -- stained glass press-ons for her kitchen cupboard glass. That was our craft project for the weekend. It took her all of two minutes to install them, but looks great. To the New-To-You shop, run by the hospital auxiliary, where we got clothes and childrens' books. To a store downtown where I bought new reading glasses, because I can't see the printing on vitamins or medication.

While we were beginning to make supper, Doug went upstairs on level three (where our room is) to retrieve my fake arm (splint) for me. All of a sudden, I heard a huge crash and Doug moaning and groaning at the top of the stairs. I bounded up the stairs to find him at the bottom of level 3. He had fallen down level 3 stairs and was flailed out on level 2. I screamed for Nat and Brenda, and they bounded up to help. He almost fainted and severely bruised his back. We tended to his wounds and made him take some pain relievers. He sat with a bag of frozen peas wrapped up in a towel, but after a few minutes of that, he was sitting in the kitchen again working on the computer. We are thankful that he is OK, but very sore, and will no doubt have a huge welt/bruise on his back. Like daughter, is this father. Natalie fell down the stairs on my birthday last August while we were out west, remember? And you should see the scar on her back!

We continued on with the evening meal preparation -- homemade pizza (yes, I had yet another pizza for supper). It was the BEST pizza I have had in 17 years. I also made strawberry/chocolate pavlova (Nurse Cherry's recipe)for dinner, although I was still shaking from the stair accident.

Brenda and Nat have gone out to get a movie while we eat pavlova and no doubt some junk food. Friday night here is usually movie night, so why destroy the tradition? Luke and Aiden have been playing all day long. Luke is a great cousin, and Aiden loves him.

I'm going to watch Doug climb the stairs tonight to make sure he doesn't fall. I think we should build Brenda an elevator. Other guests have fallen down the stairs coming down from level 3 as well. They are the very narrow, curved stairs you find in older homes. This house, built by a shipbuilder, is over 100 years old. Brenda and Nat just arrived with the movie. Gotta go....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you made it! Safe drive home!

Granny

Anonymous said...

Soak in this, you wil be restored....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LcyQOLVS_U

Love Dawn Marie