Saturday 6 March 2010

Friday

I was reminded this morning by the Southshore Sister that I haven't written much and that I must be busy. You know what? I think I am! Even though it was March break for my students and myself this past week, it was still busy for me. A funeral on Monday, the radio show every day, a day to get my tax papers ready for Sis's husband (our accountant), and then yesterday.

Let me tell you about yesterday (Friday). I struggled through the radio show (some days it's hard to 'get into it and flow.' I think it was because the sun came out and I wanted to go outside and play. I reported on the radio that it was "Do something goofy or silly" Day, and I wanted to do the same. So, Doris and I hopped into my van after the show and headed north, into the wild blue sky and sunshine. Where would we end up and how would we get there? We were hungry, so we headed the back way to Woodstock, up through Millville and the back road to Grafton, which was akin to mogul skiing, except with a van. Up and down and around the heaves in the road, and we were soon looking for a place to land and get the 'gold.' Down beautiful Main Street of Woodstock, the place of my birth, and a stop at Newnham and Slipp pharmacy, because I did so many commercials for them this past couple of months that I had to see what they had in store. I went on an incognito mission, however, and didn't reveal my name. And didn't buy anything, either.

Where to eat? Finally settled on Smitty's and had a great lunch. On the road again, to travel the back roads over hill and dale, through Victoria Corner, to Coldstream (wherever that is), towards Gordonsville, out to Knowlesville and finally reached the destination of Falls Brook (where Doug and I had spent a whole weekend in the fall). Drove the van up a muddy snow covered driveway to a three-story straw bale house being built. Opened the door and looked down -- there was our grown son, Jonathan, with a dust mask on, stuffing straw into the walls. He looked up at me with surprise. I said, "I bet you didn't expect to see your mother way out here!" Of course he didn't, and told the owners of the house, "We have company." They opened up their house to us and we had a tour of the three story structure, plus climbed a ladder up into the cupola and surveyed the countryside. Beautiful. A house totally off the grid. And Jonathan is in his glory working on it. Then Doris and I helped him scrub a newly laid grouted ceramic floor, and the owners, Leland and Teeghan and two kids, left on a journey to Guelph, Ontario. They thought it odd that these two strange women were left scrubbing their floor, but hey....it was Do Something Goofy Day, and we were doing it. We took a trek up into the woods to look at an outdoor kiln, and a kiss and a hug for Jonathan, and we were off again, down through Cloverdale, Millville again, a stop at a very unusual general store, and home again. An adventure. I love adventures. Isn't life an adventure?

Then out to dinner at Ramada with Rick & Patricia Green for a fabulous meal. To Blockbuster to rent "The Invention of Lying," a very interesting and thought provoking movie that Doug and I had already seen, but wanted to see again. It was quite a day.

Today we are on our way to try out a CUBE vehicle (Nissan) with Rick & Patricia, then heading north again towards Centreville, where Jonathan and Stephen and families are boiling maple sap! We'll see all the grandchildren and will have a grand time. A perfect way to end a busy March break week. Toodles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boy does my week seem boring!!

Love,
S.S. Sis