Thursday 26 May 2011

Ludlow and the High Price of Gas

You know I've always got a story or two to tell of things that happen to me. Listen to this one: Last evening, Maxine and I left Fredericton about 5:30. We rushed out of the house, hopped in my Honda CRV, and took off towards Ludlow, where I was to speak at a women's meeting at the Anglican Church, just outside Boiestown. Phenny and Kim had gone ahead of us in another car. So far, so good. At some point, driving towards Taymouth, I decided it might be an idea to get some gasoline put in the little vehicle and thought we'd stop at the Taymouth service station, right there before you go across the Taymouth bridge. At this point, I had never looked at my gas gauge, just assumed I might need gas (we were talking up a storm, of course, me and Max).

Well, the gas station was no longer -- it was a house. I crossed the Nashwaak Stream, thinking there would be another station further up the road, when all of a sudden I looked at the gas gauge -- on EMPTY!!!! It screamed at me. Oh, oh...."Max, we're not going to make it...we need to pray that we can find gas somewhere." After a few miles, I realized -- NO GAS FOR YOU until Boiestown, girl, and then the EMPTY light came on. Oh, Oh, again -- Max -- we need to pray....We had just been talking about faith and having more of it, so here was the test. I KNEW I would not make it to Boiestown, and tried to reach Phenny on the cell phone -- NO SERVICE where we were. Oh, Oh. OK, what next? Keep driving, I guess. Phenny and Kim were having a grand ol' time dodging moose about fifteen minutes up the road.

We drove along, and then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a home garage with a half ton or two in front of it. I whipped the li'l rig in the dooryard and got out, all dressed up in my high heeled sandals and good clothes. "You men know where I can get some gas? I'm almost out and my husband used my vehicle last night and ran it dry." (He did do this, of course, not taking care of his little wife to ensure her tank was filled up. I'll blame it on him, anyway).

"No, no gas here," they replied. "Know where I can get any? Lawnmower gas?" "Nope." (even though there were ATVs in the garage and other vehicles, they were adamant no gas was to be found).

I asked if they had a phone -- in the back I traipsed, through grease and wires and dirt, delicately making my way with my high shoes, to find a very dirty phone. Thinking to myself, "How did I get here? The crazy situations I get into -- honestly." Should have just picked up a wrench and started wrenching something, and forget about the meeting. But the show must go on, so, I found the phone amongst a bunch of hanging wires and parts.

Then I couldn't remember Phenny's cell phone number and dialed a number that got me Rick Green, a host at the radio station. "Oh sorry, Rick, it's Deb. I'm almost to Boiestown and have no gas. Sorry." He must have thought, "What???" Go figure. Dialed another number -- help me, Lord, remember Phenny's number?? Brain, work!!! No answer at the number I called. Must not be it. Have a phone book, guys, I yelled. "Yeah, somewhere there in the back."

I root around in the back and find the book; try to see the names and numbers, but no glasses to see with. I think about calling Carolyn who lives in Boiestown, but can't see. Then, the garage phone rings. I pick it up -- it's Phenny. "Deb??" (wondering why I'm calling from a strange place, I'm sure).... "Come get me -- turn around and come back. I'm almost out of gas." "Ok, will do," she laughed, wondering what is going on. They had seen about four moose by this time and she said she didn't really want to turn around and encounter them again, but she did it for me, seeing she likes me and all, and I was the speaker after all, and I was going to be late.

I went back outside where Max was sitting in the car. What to do now but wait for Phenny and Kim? But, something had changed -- a 12 year old boy had a big can of what he said was gas. Gas? Where did that come from? Were they holding out on us? I think so. He was like the loaves and fishes boy in the Bible when Jesus asked if anyone had anything to eat, he appeared out of nowhere with food -- enough to feed the 5,000 people.

He seemed to come out of nowhere, although he was there when we got there, but I didn't pay him no mind. He was our rescue boy. They poured about two gallons of gas into a jerry can and into my tank it went. I went to get my wallet to pay him, as I thought I had change, but alas, I had forgotten my wallet (along with my license!). "Max, got any money?" I whispered.

Max only had a $20., so this precious boy received $20.00 for about two gallons of gas. He was astounded by our 'generosity,' but we couldn't ask for change, could we? $20.00 for two gallons. OK -- what's important is to get us to Boiestown to the gas station. Went back through the garage again to call Phenny and tell them to turn around yet again. She must have thought I was crazy (well, I think she already knows). Thank you very much, guys..."I love men," I quipped and off we went. We're sure they were saying, "Stupid women.." or something like that.

Ten to fifteen minutes later we arrived at the Irving in Boiestown but by that time it was too late to get gas, plus we had no money left. We briefly stopped and asked how long they were open -- 10 pm. Good -- and we have enough gas to get to Ludlow and back. Hit the road again for another ten minutes. Got to the church at 6:55 pm. Grabbed the guitar and went downstairs in the church hall to find about 20 women sitting there waiting for us. Fired up the guitar, then told them how stuff always happens to us when we come to Ludlow. Had them laughing about our gas experience.

Had a great time with them and had a nice lunch afterwards, which was good, since we never had supper either. They gave me an envelope with money in it before I left. Left the church about 8:30 and back to the Irving. I said to Max, I'm going to assume there is at least $20.00 in this envelope and put that much in the car; it will get us back to Fredericton. And since we were talking about faith, I was doing that in faith, too (although we DID have Max's debit card if all else failed to pay for it. Good thing, because I didn't want to stay and work at the gas station to pay for my gas. Too many black flies in Boiestown for me LOL).

I went to pay for the gas, and opened the envelope, and was astounded at the amount of money they had given me -- they must have felt sorry for us. It was over $140.00! We were surprised, but hey, why should we be? God always provides and MORE, right?

Paid a lot of money for a little amount of gas, but ended up with so much more in the end, plus a lot of laughs along the way.

Moral of the story? Check your gas gauge -- or not -- God proves Himself anyway, despite our failures. LIVE LAUGH LOVE

By the way, if you're going to Boiestown -- gas up BEFORE Taymouth. Just a little tip.... And watch out for moose. Or should I say meese?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my girl!!!

Granny

Anonymous said...

That's my sis!!!

S.S. Sis

Laureen said...

Only you Deb, only you ♥

Anonymous said...

Oh Deb. :) God definitely does provide.

Krista