Sunday 29 May 2011

Sleepless on Grand Manan and a Personal Ferry Ride

Friday afternoon we took off to Grand Manan for an overnight trip. We left our vehicle and walked on, two vagabonds, who sat outside in the fog and huddled together under a blanket, eating french fries and reading a book together. How romantic, but cold. The ocean is raw and cold, but we love it.

Stayed at Rhonda & Chris' house with another man from Halifax. We were there for a conference. Friday night found me up and down opening and closing windows and playing with the door latch which kept rattling due to the wind off the ocean in our room. I thought it might be Rhonda's cat trying to come in, but here Rhonda was trying to keep the door from rattling by using a pillow to keep it open. We were playing cat and mouse with each other, but didn't know the other was on the other side of the door. Quite a night of non-sleep for the two of us. Very funny.

All day Saturday was a conference and visiting with Q. Evening conference, and then R & C drove us to the ferry for an 11:30 pm ferry ride across the fog infested waters to Black's Harbour. A lone tractor trailer without a driver and Doug and me, as walk-ons. I went outside a couple of times to get blasted with fog mist, and then we settled down for an 1 1/2 hour rest -- our own cruise, although the fog horn blasted every five minutes, waking us up. Miraculously, at 1:15 on the other side, we were able to drive another two hours to Fredericton, listening to Saint John News Radio about cross border shopping. Arrived home at 3:30 a.m. To bed for me after 4 am. Are we tired yet? Perhaps? Sleepless in Fredericton now.

Woke near noon and got ready to go to Granny's Fredericton Ladies Choir performance. I took Jed with me, and picked up Jessica along the way. A wonderful, relaxing concert -- very soothing to me. I felt like I could go to sleep, but didn't want to fall out of the balcony.

To D & L's for supper, then a long walk on the train bridge and over to the university, where we sat under the Thailandish pagoda and met a unique couple on a bicycle built for two who had biked to Oromocto and bike to buy chicken at KFC. We were having quite the conversation with them, when another women emerged from the UNB hill, and entered our pagoda. I quipped in jest, "Welcome to Thailand." Then she told us that she was one of 6,000 intellectual tourists that have descended on Superior City for the week. Her specialty is in sociology. I urged her to walk back to the train bridge with us and we gave her a walking tour and sent her on her way to the downtown. Angela, from Toronto. Welcome to Fredericton. She thinks Fredericton is beautiful and very friendly. We acted like she was our long lost cousin as we strolled along the walking path. We were thinking we should get some tourist guide t-shirts or something.

We dropped D & L off at their house and went up to Doug's mother's to get my bike, as I'm going to lose my vehicle for the next two weeks. Nat & Josh, Aiden & Sarah are flying in to F'ton tomorrow and driving to PEI for two weeks, so we're lending them our car.

Up at Doug's mother's house, we played hide n seek with a raccoon up the tree who is trying to climb up the bird feeder. The next door neighbour was trying to take a video of the whole process.

Now it is 10:22, and we're trying to make our way towards bed and hopefully sleep. Is anyone tired of me writing? I am tired of my rambling, so good night and good sleep to all!

No comments: