Monday 1 February 2010

February 1st

I had an appointment with Dr. Bryden, my surgeon this afternoon. Natalie and Doug went with me. A check-up of my mastectomy site, lymph nodes, etc. And a major discussion on whether to have another mastectomy on the other side. She felt that with all I've been through last year, that having this surgery would not be medically necessary at this time. In part due to the fact that I have carpal tunnel in both arms (plus tenosynovitis in my left wrist), which may require surgery. That I need my hands more at this time, and the breast can wait. That the surgery, chemo and radiation have been done to take care of the cancer and hopefully it will not return, and that the medication I'm on (Arimidex) will take care of me producing estrogen, thus protecting the other breast. That they would be more concerned about the cancer returning in the mastectomy side than the other side. Doctors always lay the bare facts out there for you, and you have to face it again. The size of the tumour (3.5) and that 7 of 9 lymph nodes were involved. She told me a story that did encourage me, however. About a woman she's been seeing for 10 years who had 12 out of 14 lymph nodes involved and is doing great and doesn't need to see her anymore. That will be me, right! I won't have to have any more surgery, chemo or radiation. I declare it! And you agree, right?

She told me I was doing great and that I am a one year survivor, almost two (November). To come see her in November, after my next mammogram (which she is booking now for October). That the first two years are critical and that if you can get through these two years....Please continue to pray for me. And that I would be at peace and know that GOD is my strength, as He has always been.

It's very interesting that I am speaking this weekend at Greenhill Lake Camp. Topic: "MORE THAN A SURVIVOR: MORE THAN A CONQUEROR."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LcyQOLVS_U

I attached this to the wrong post!

Soak and be restored.

Love Dawn Marie

Anonymous said...

Praying you won't need that surgery, and the cancer will not return!
See you this weekend. :)

Love,
Krista

Natalie B. said...

Praise the Lord for your good report.
Love and prayers,
Natalie(Carolina)