Saturday 16 May 2009

My Visit to the Doctor

I met with Dr. Raza, my oncologist, on Friday morning.  Here's a synopsis:

1.  He put me on Tamoxifen for now, an anti-estrogen drug.  By taking this
drug, there is a 38% chance of recurrence.

2.  If I could go on an aromatase inhibitor drug instead, for
post-menopausal women, which I am not, there would be a 28% chance of
recurrence.  So the goal is to get me post-menopausal.  Therefore, I am
going to have my ovaries out.

3.  I booked an appt with my OB/GYN to start that process.

4.  I am high risk, stage 3 grade 3 (there are four stages).

5.  He gave me a consult to a psychiatrist if I want one.

6.  I have an appointment with him at the end of July for blood work and
follow-up.

7.  No need to have a mastectomy on the other side at this time.

Pray that I have peace and no fear as I go through the next stage....another
operation....  Today's meeting brought me down a bit -- the reality of it
all.  But, God has the last say on my life, doesn't he?  My life is not just another statistic. I must remember that God is in control, and that He has the last say – He knows the number of my days, and He is fully capable of producing a miracle in my life, and He already has! My faith is being tested at a level I have never before experienced. I must not worry, but rely on the God of all comfort. This morning, Doug and I were reading this passage:

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. (2 Cor 1:3-4). I'm always relying on His comfort in 'all my troubles.' But you know what? There are many people who have more troubles than I do. I notice that all the time.

Another verse that stood out (I've only read it hundreds of times by now; you'd think I would have it memorized by now):

We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life (I've felt like this most of the past six months). Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. (I can relate). Now look at this: But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us. On Him we have set our hope that He will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. (I ask for your prayers, and I thank you for your prayers). Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many (2 Cor 1:8-11). See what your prayers do for me? God's gracious favor is granted. Thank you, thank you! Let's believe this...

So, I am fortunate to have this day to enjoy the beautiful sunshine here at Century Farm Campground in St. Martins (we traveled here last night, trying to keep it a secret, but apparently it's not!). At 1 pm, I will go up to the church for a women's retreat. I was trying to surprise them, but alas, word got out that I was here. Oh well, it will be good to see everyone.

Thank you all for your prayers. Pray for God's peace and His healing to continue.

Now I must go outside and sit in my new zero gravity chair that Doug bought me for our anniversary. This is our anniversary weekend (May 20th being the actual day). 31 years of wedded bliss to the greatest man in the world.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary ! I will continue to keep you both in my prayers. Hope the ladies retreat lifts your spirits. You are amazing,Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
Praying for you every day. I enjoy reading your blog since it's like reading a book. I had an ovary removed at 25 and the second one when I was 30 after having my Natalie Dawn. How wonderful that Natalie could visit with you again!
love, Deb M. in Sask.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I remember the day you two were married, like it was yesterday. Remember the tears...and those goofy dresses.

We'll talk soon.

Love to you both,

S.S.Sis

Anonymous said...

Yes Deb, God is in control and we can always give him thanks in all things.
Love you Rhonda