Thursday 21 May 2009

A Series of ‘Unfortunate’ Events

I woke up with a dizzy head, so I took a Gravol and went back to sleep. I woke up after having a dream about my legs being hairier than Doug's. The hair on my legs was silver and black and would require a chainsaw to shave it off. I guess that's a good sign that hair will be growing back on my legs soon. I better not let my leg hair get out of control, but watch its progress carefully.

I was able to get my head under control and packed a bag for a day at Davidson Lake. D & L picked me up at 11:30 and we had a beautiful drive to the lake. I went for a short walk along the beach and back to eat lunch. The afternoon was spent on the dock in a lounge chair, with lots of sunscreen and a hat, being careful not to get sunburned. D. rested on a quilt and a pillow that really wanted to escape into the lake, but she managed to keep them under control – for awhile, that is. After the sun got too close for comfort, D. moved the chair for me under a pine tree alongside the water. But alas, she forgot about her pillow and quilt – they ended up in the lake, along with her Bible case and journal. Into the water she went, on a rescue mission. I watched her from my chair, and spent the rest of the afternoon resting. She spent the afternoon trying to get dry and dry out her items. Then she decided to try her hand at vacuuming the inside of the cottage, but somehow managed to suck up the eye on a deer head mounted near the ceiling. Then the beater bars on the power nozzle quit. Must have been 'some big' deer eye, I figure. I was still in the chair under the pine tree, oblivious to her plight. She gave up on that and made supper. Doug arrived and brought me some water, in case I was dehydrated. I was enjoying the wild waves, the wind and the spray from the lake and couldn't believe I could stay in a chair that long.

After supper, the series of 'unfortunate' events continued. D & L went for a walk along the beach, and Doug slept on the floor, while I read on the couch, the breeze from the lake soothing and cooling us off. When D came back, she decided it would be nice to 'dangle' her feet in the water on the dock. Little did we know what was to occur next. Doug got up from his sleep and walked onto the dock in his sock feet to join D, as she sat on the side of the dock, feet dangling. I trailed behind and walked on to the dock as well. It was so beautiful, with the evening sun shining behind him, illuminating his face that I thought, "What a nice time for me to kiss him, a post-anniversary kiss," and proceeded to do so. As our lips almost met, the dock collapsed. D. went into the water again, and I grabbed onto Doug for dear life, not thinking about the fact that I'm not supposed to get my markings wet, but that Doug had socks on! I gained my bearings and we hoofed it off the sinking dock and onto dry land. But D. was in the water babysitting the collapsed dock and her husband, L., was probably thinking to himself, "Now, how am I going to fix that?" Then the black flies started to swarm all of us and we quickly hiked up the incline to the cottage, trying to avoid their little fang teeth. I was the first one to make it into the cottage, with Doug and D. close behind. As I closed the screen door, I happened to turn around to see it falling on top of Doug; it had come off its moorings. Doug was not injured in the incident but put it back in place.

L. went to the dock and spent several minutes trying to shore up the dock with a sawhorse, after slathering bug spray on his exposed skin. He didn't want any help. Doug's socks were wet. D.'s clothes were wet again. The deer had no eye. The vacuum cleaner was broken. L. ran into the cottage covered with black flies, and began to swell up with bug bites. D. attacked him with After Bite. Then she whipped up some hummingbird solution in a mason jar to feed the birds before she left the cottage. She asked if I wanted a big navel orange to take with me. "Yes," I replied, and she threw it at me, fully expecting me to catch it, but alas, it hit me square in my mastectomy site. I've never been hit in the chest with an orange before – another new experience. At least it didn't rub off my radiation markings. Doug and I decided that we better get out of there before anything else happened. We had a lovely drive home, without flies or oranges flying. D & L were no doubt grateful that we left before anything else happened, too.

Well, that was my day of rest in the day and laughter in the evening. A series of unfortunate, yet funny events.


 


 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BAAAHHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHHHAAAAA!!!! Sounds a bit like a Murphy family vacation!
Angie M.
:) xox

Linda said...

I'd say this rivals any Lampoon's Vacation!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-W50U2RP6g

mrsmoosie04 said...

Too Funny!