Saturday 30 May 2009

Radiation 'Ritings

Friday morning, Nurse Cherry and I were making our way down the corridor towards the Radiation Oncology department. We were aware of people walking behind us. Nurse Cherry's ears perked up when she heard the sound of a child. A little girl was walking along with her parents, talking in her little munchkin voice -- "I'm having fun right now," she said. I took notice of what she said, and commented to Cherry that perhaps I should try to think of myself as having fun right now, too. All of a sudden, the parents exclaimed that they were going the wrong way, and they turned around. I wanted to go with them, too, but had to continue on to the 'fun' place to have 'fun' in the sun. Why is it so hard to have fun in hard times? But we must try. I hardly had time to don my johnny shirts when they called my name, and not too long after, radiation #3 - completed! 13 more to go.

Nurse Cherry fired up the cherrymobile and after stocking up with lemon tea from Tim's, she pushed the turboboost, and off we flew towards my home country of 'Canada.' It was a great three days in Europe, looking forward to next week's adventures when I fly back.

We picked up Max and took her to Jives. But we didn't jive, we ate lunch. Then back to her house where Sam showed up, and we watched "Groundhog Day," I had a bit of a nap, and Nurse Cherry tickled Max's feet by giving her a pedicure, Carolyn showed up to visit, then Doug with a surprise. The Rehab, where he works, had fundraisers and presented him with an envelope of money, which was the exact amount we needed for major car and truck repairs this very week. God is always on time, and He truly does provide. We rejoiced over that, Nurse Cherry took off for Europe again, and the rest of us had dinner together. A truly lovely time in Max and Dale's home was had by all.

Saturday morning, we drove up to where Jon and Alicia and grandkids were staying (Alicia's parents' cottage on the lake). Doug helped Jon and Alicia's father renovate a room downstairs. I wrapped up in a blanket and basically stayed in the chair most of the day, watching our precious grandchildren play, reading books and a brief walk with the mosquitoes. I had to wave ferns to keep them from biting my bared head. After a sleep in the chair, I spent some time watching Jon do carpentry work on the stairs (he wanted me to come down and be with him -- what a beautiful son we have, so caring). Alicia prepared beautiful meals today, despite having to chase after climbing Ivy, who will not stop climbing onto chairs, upstairs and onto the couch. She needs to wear a helmet, I think. She's a going concern and truly lives up to her name.

We left about 8 pm, and when out on the highway, we saw the most beautiful full double rainbow we have ever seen in all our 33 years of being together. God's promise. A sign of His care for us. We arrived home to see that Max's son Jonathan and Shelly's daughter, Erika, had left us a pine cone message on our verandah. I stood up on a chair like Ivy (hoping I wouldn't fall), and took another picture. Blessings, blessings -- they are every day.

Having fun yet? I'm tryin.' Signing off....

No comments: