Monday 4 May 2009

Doug had a dream

Last year, Doug had a dream. Well, actually, a few significant dreams. I want to briefly tell you about three of them.

Dream #1: I was pushing a baby carriage down a street when I suddenly collapsed in the middle of the road. People gathered around me, concerned. Doug came along in his van, got out, picked me up and put me in the van, as well as the baby and carriage. The people asked him, "What's wrong with her? Why did she collapse?" He replied, "She'll be OK; she just needs to rest." He took me home to rest.

Dream #2: Doug was washing the dishes in the kitchen sink (which in itself is very unusual). I came down the stairs and into the kitchen, when suddenly, the whole house fell down like matchsticks around us. I began to cry. Doug took me in his arms and reassured me that all would be well. That it didn't matter that our house fell down, that we were still together, and that we would rebuild our house – somehow, some way (as we have rebuilt our 'house' SO many times throughout the years, trial after trial). As we stood holding each other in the middle of our house without walls, wondering what to do, people started coming from everywhere towards our house. "We've come to help you rebuild," they declared.

Dream #3: He had yet another dream about our house collapsing. Doug went up the road to enlist the help of a couple of carpenters. By the time it took them to walk back to the house, it was completely rebuilt.

Last November, I 'collapsed,' and it seemed like our whole house came tumbling down. Life as we knew it changed, and we stood holding each other, wondering whether we could 'rebuild' the shattered pieces. I had to stop work and rest. But then, the people started to come – from everywhere… their cards and letters, visits, and prayers – encouraging and supporting us, as I began the process of healing – the surgery, the chemo, rest, and on to radiation. I knew for sure that Doug's dream was fulfilled when, on Saturday night, people from everywhere came to support us at a benefit concert held in our honour. I was astounded and overwhelmed at the number of people who came to encourage us. I was totally blessed just to see the people, but then to have all the performers give of their time and talents on top of it all. They made us laugh, they made us cry. I wept all evening, as I sat with Doug and our family at the front. Afton was wedged between Doug and me, and she kissed my hands all evening, trying to comfort me.

The event was hosted by Sisters' Act (a group I usually sing with, but decided to let them sing to me). Other performers were Paul Thompson, Dawn-Marie Allaby, Ryan Legere (a piano student), Leah Thompson (another piano student), Afton, her Daddy Jonathan (our son), Jonathan and Natalie together, Seekers of His Heart Quartet (of which my "Mum" is a part), Janet White #1, the McCready Family, Jeff Page (the Pirate from Coldstream), a speech from Doris, and of course, Q's powerpoint presentation of my 'life' over the past few years. They all brought tears to my eyes. I felt like I was in a movie about a woman who had cancer who came to a church one night to find a couple of hundred people gathered in her support….Oh, I guess that was real, wasn't it? I could not believe that the event was taking place on my behalf. Max asked me to sing at the end, which I did by the grace of God. I was actually speechless, unusual for me. I thank Maxine, Doris, Janette and Sandra for organizing it, and for all the 'girls' and 'guys' that assisted. It was truly a blessed night and everyone that was there was blessed, I believe. I felt so loved by the people and by all the songs they sang for us. Thank you, thank you. Doug and I felt so encouraged.

"We've come to help you rebuild," they declared. Doug had a dream….

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!! That's all I have to say as I sit here blatting!

I love you, my strong sister!!

Brenda

mrsmoosie04 said...

We love you Deb! You are a blessing to all of us. It must be so difficult to carry this burden called cancer. He will not leave or forsake you. He is there carrying you, holding you through all of this.
Thanks for being you.

Linda said...

Indeed, beautiful Deb, we were blessed - you were not the only one in tears; when I wasn't wiping my own, I saw others in front of me wiping theirs. You can rest assured that your prayer for others to be blessed was answered.

And SS sister Brenda, I thought of you knowing that you would have looooved to have been there, too - I know you were in your heart and prayers.

oxo :')

Anonymous said...

Deb I'm so glad I was able to be there. It was truly a blessed night. I was close to tears many times. I'm not surprised at all that there was so many people. You are such a blessing and a wonderful friend, and I know you are truly loved by many! Most of all I'm glad I finally got the chance to hug you. I've wanted to soo much since the beginning of this journey of yours!
Love you!
Krista

Unknown said...

Hi Deb,I thought I was to old and contrary to cry but when I read your blog I realize I was wrong.Where do you get the strength or need I ask.What a girl.Love ya cus Richard