Tuesday 22 December 2009

Party Hearty

Hey Jude,

Nice seeing you today at the post office and giving you a couple of hugs, and seeing your look-alike daughter. It's nice when our daughters resemble us, isn't it? My daughter is coming home in just over a week. Hard to believe. It seems like forever when I stood in her driveway in The Pas and we cried our eyes out as we parted. And now to think God has made a way for her to come home, with Aiden in her papoose.

Had a party tonight. Think I told you that today, that I was planning for a party, after I went to the radio station. Lots of munchies, including strawberries dipped in icing sugar -- that a was hit, and almost burnt Shortbread cookies (my second attempt to get them perfect failed, yet they are delish, as Gloria told me tonight). Attendants at tonight's party were: Harry & Gloria, who entertained us in The Soul Cafe (home edition) with various songs while I strummed along on my guitar; Ann & Dick (I call him 'Richard' and he calls me 'Deborah'), Don and Cousin Els, and of course, me and my beau. A few carols, a Yankee swap where absolutely NO one traded, numerous trivia quizzes with prizes (I always like to challenge the brain at a party), and more eating. Seemed to be lots of volume at this party and much laughter, as words got mixed up and sentences misconstrued. Gloria decided she wanted whipped cream on Cousin Els' dessert, so I sprayed her with it -- by accident, of course. So she took over the duty, and absolutely covered Doug with whipped cream. A culinary accident, for sure, but a very healthy dose of laughter occurred because of it. Pots and pots of coffee and cans of apple cider were consumed. And of course, the night wouldn't be complete without the men separating from the women so they can talk about men/women stuff. You can only imagine. The women chose to congregate around the kitchen table where the feeding trough was, and ate like they hadn't seen food before, even though the first feeding occurred an hour previous.

About 11:30, Don needed to go feed the horses out at the ranch, so the party participants split like a banana, wishing Merry Christmas with kisses all around.

I'm still up, cleaning up and eating up and blogging up.

Exciting news -- found out on the weekend and confirmed today that I am getting my own solo radio show weekdays from 10 am to 2 pm. Calling it "The Soul Cafe." Go figure. God is certainly surprising me with the doors He is opening. I start next week. Stay tuned...

Check out the website for a poem I recorded for the "Stay in Tune" radio spots. It is written by our friend, Brenda Branscombe. Called "The Mission." In a couple of days I hope to have another one on there called "Wise Men Still Seek Him," co-written by Nurse Cherry and myself. If you have an inkling for an idea, let me know and we can be co-collaborators. Is that a word, by the way? By the way, it IS 12:41, and I should be sleeping, but I'm too wired for sound.

Tomorrow I need to plan the Christmas eve service (I'm in 'charge'), make a recording or two, wrap presents and perhaps cook.

Here is the recipe for the cookies, a recipe designed by the OT Director, aka Doris Child...

Cream 1 lb butter, 2 cups brown sugar
Add 3 1/2 cups flour & 1/2 cup corn starch to creamed mixture with any of the following (I added ALL):

butterscotch chips
chocolate chips
nuts (I used blanched almonds)
dried cranberries
or whatever (whatever you like in a cookie)

Divide dough into four parts. Roll each part into a bag and wrap in waxed paper. Chill. Store in fridge. Slice cookies as needed. Cook for 3 days @ 400. No, seriously, that's about what I did. You need to cook them for 6-7 minutes @ 400, but watch them carefully, especially if your oven runs hot like mine does, and then you burn them. An Airbake pan would be nice. I need one. Perhaps Santa is reading my blog and will buy me one for Christmas.

Nite... Santa, if you don't want burnt cookies, you might want to buy me an Airbake pan. If you don't know what that is, ask short Ann. She'll tell you.

Hey Jude -- good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not me!! You ain't gettin' anything else!!

Granny