Sunday 20 December 2009

Weekend

What a weekend: Friday was shop til you drop day, although it didn't take me long to 'drop,' about an hour, and I was arguing with Doris, (who became my personal shopping assistant and a taskmaster) -- "I want to go home! I hate shopping! My body hurts! My knees ache! I can't walk!" But I did manage to get a few things by afternoon, and felt so at peace once I made it to the Brookside Mall and the quiet of that place. And my favorite store, of course -- Zellers -- where you can get everything you need for Christmas. I must go back there this week, as I am not finished by any stretch of the imagination.

The rock band -- well, we rocked, and "First Cut is the Deepest" was me rockin' it out. I had to laugh all evening at myself, "I'm in a rock band, and it's LOUD!" Great fun.

Saturday morning -- breakfast at the church, and playing the piano for carols with the folk. Tony's Music Box, an art shop, and an hour long coffee break with Rick Green and Doug at Read's Bookstore/Newstand, where more ideas flowed. More on that later.

Home where I got ready for Christmas tree adventures. Doris, the OT Director, picked me up in her van while Doug put away equipment, and we drove to Grasses' Tree Farm (about 1 mile up the road), where the second tree was the one for my house. Doris and Bob loaded it on the van while I stood and watched (It's nice to have help, isn't it?). Doug kindly put it in the stand, and Doris started loading the tree with lights, while I made cookies (we had this goal to do all these things in one day). I came in and helped decorate and we finished it in about an hour, while the cookies were baking. We didn't know how long to bake them, so we guessed. Not a good decision. They are 'dunkers.' Found out they should have baked for 6-7 minutes at 400 degrees, and we cooked them for 20 minutes at 300!. Then upstairs to cut out a John Deere quilt for Jack. I was beginning to tire by this time (not sure why), but the OT Director kept pushing me -- you can do it, you can do it, keep going, keep going, it seemed like she chanted.

The phone rang and it was Natalie, and I still had to cut material while talking on the phone. No rest for the weary. Found out Natalie is coming home on December 30th until February 17th! REJOICE, REJOICE! And of course, Aiden boy will be arriving as well. My quiver is full now.

I called Mom to come up and look at the quilt and give me some advice, while putting a pizza in the oven to bake. A quilt expert at my beck and call. Granny Quiltmaker. I love her. She's always there for me. She gave me some advice and the quilt is still on the bed in disarray, awaiting my return.

Saturday evening, Doug and I went over to Rick Green's house (he is a broadcaster with the station and has been in radio since early 60's). He taught me "Radio 101" as he calls it. I have a teacher. I told him that 'when the student is ready, the teacher will appear." We have a lot of projects up our sleeve, and I will learn much from this veteran of radio.

Sunday morning dawned bright and early, and I went to church to lead the music -- a couple of singing groups that I'm involved with directing -- "First Love," and "Second Chance." One contemporary, one not so contemporary. Fun. My hands were numb most of the time while I beat out the tunes on the piano, but I kept going. Took off for home to change for the Fredericton Ladies' Choir concert at St. Dunstans at 3 pm. Amazing experience, with 1,000 people in attendance! It is such an awesome privilege to sing and to feel all the music swirling around my head, and to sing my heart out. And to be alive.

Tonight was an evening meal with Doris and Laurie, Sandra and Randy at Doris'. She became a cook instead of an OT director. I had a sleep in the chair after dinner while everyone else talked. Then Doris became the OT director and taught Sandra how to make those giant snowflakes we made last year. I brought one home with me that she made me.

Stay tuned for the next episode of life. This has been an event-packed weekend, and I'm sure everyone out there is having a busy time this busy time of year. I think I just need to sit in a chair and relax like I did tonight, blanket wrapped around my aching knees and feet.

Now I'll go lie this body down and thank the Lord for yet another good day.

No comments: