Monday 14 December 2009

PARTY PARTY

Two parties in one day. The BEADY BUNCH came for lunch. Hey, that rhymes - perhaps I should write a song about that and have a television show of the same name: it could be about four adult women of varying ages that take piano and get together once a week with an erratic teacher. And then every so often, they bring an assortment of egg dishes and green salads and eat while the teacher does private lessons in the other room. I'll have to contact CBC about doing a pilot episode.

Then the radio station in the afternoon where I downloaded more Christmas music and got it ready to play on the air, as well as being 'on the air' quite a bit this afternoon, discussing various and sundry things.

Tonight was teaching til 8:30, then another party with another group -- four university students who came to eat chips, chocolate and sparkling cider and then sing for a couple of hours. We are forming a contemporary quartet (I'm the fourth 'university student;' keeps me young, you know, to hang out with younger people). We brainstormed and came up with a name: "First Love." Stay tuned.... We sang until 11:30 until I said I needed to go to bed. If I must say so, we sound pretty good.

Since I haven't yet had my supper, I think I should partake of my nightly toast and retire. Here's a toast to this day -- another great day, full of parties and music.

!Deb

PS: Here is a recipe that "A" brought to the BEADY BUNCH BRUNCH (and I could eat it! Cheryl F., take note! These squares are delish!)

Hi Deb

Here is the full recipe for the squares I took to The Soul Cafe today. Of course, for you I only made the top two layers (Layers 3 & 4), however I thought your Mom asked for the recipe as well.


MARZIPAN SQUARES

LAYER 1:
2 cups Flour
1 tsp Salt (skimpy)
1 1/3 cups Shortening
2 Tblsp Butter (or Margarine) softened
2 Tblsp Cold Water

Mix flour and salt together and cut in shortening and butter until they are size of peas. Moisten with cold water and pack into ball. Roll out thin and press into 9"X13" pan. (I don't bother rolling it out, I just use my hands to press it into the bottom of the pan.)

LAYER 2:
1/2 cup Raspberry Jam thinly spread over pastry base (I use seedless raspberry jam)

LAYER 3:
1 cup Butter (or Margarine)
1 1/3 cup Sugar
4 Eggs
1 1/3 cups Rice Flour unsifted
sprinkle of salt
1 - 2 tsp Almond flavouring (original recipe doesn't call for this, but I add it)

Cream together butter and sugar and beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour & salt. Mix until well combined.
DIVIDE this cake mixture into 2 bowls, Half and Half. Tint one half red and the other half green. Dab in small amounts on jam layer in a checkerboard fashion. (A melon baller works well for this.) Lightly spread together to get rid of any air pockets.

Bake at 350 F - 375 F (depending on your own individual oven) for approx 30 - 35 minutes. Watch closely. Cool well.

LAYER 4:
3 cups Icing Sugar
4 Tblsp Butter
2 tsp Almond Flavouring
4 Tblsp Milk -- warm in microwave

Cream icing sugar and butter, then stir in warm milk and almond flavouring. Add icing sugar or a little more milk as desired for spreading consistency. Spread on well-cooled squares. Freezes well.

Garnish as desired with nuts, cherries, etc.

*** When only making the top two layers I greased and floured the pan before putting the cake batter in it. (I used spray oil and rice flour.)

ENJOY !!!!

ANN

No comments: