Tuesday 4 May 2010

EXTREME MAKEOVER/HAIR SPECTACULAR

Today, I did it. I got my hair done. My long time hairdresser and I came up with a colour. Warm brown. Quite a change from the silvery grey/black I've had since last September. I've been thinking about it for quite some time now, but everyone has been telling me, "Don't get your hair coloured! We like it that way." Some days I liked it, and other days I didn't. It reminded me of what I've been through, I think, more than anything. And perhaps I wanted to cover that part of my anatomy up with a bit of colour. Since I can't cover the removal of a body part, I could do the next best thing. I don't know whether you really get used to losing part of your body. I haven't yet, but perhaps someday I will not even notice. And the disability it creates. But, by the grace of God, I'm still standin', right?

After Sandy (my hairdresser) washed that grey right out of my hair, I sat in the chair for a few minutes, afraid to look in the mirror. I got up out of the rinse chair and sat in the stylist chair and looked at myself in the mirror. Immediately, I began to weep as I saw myself, and realized again what I've been through. I was taken aback by the emotion, and so were the hairdressers in the shop, I think. They comforted me and told me I looked great. I never knew how much 'value' a woman attaches to her 'crowning glory.' Well, I guess I have been realizing it, ever since January 2009, when I first lost my hair. And now I have this thick mass of hair back on my head, bless the Lord. And hair on my body again. I bless God for hair. Even leg hair -- I love it!

It's almost 9 o'clock and Matthew is playing the drums while I'm writing this (Matt is my guitar student/neighbour/friend). I'm waiting for Doug to come home to see my hair. He was in the yard a few minutes ago, and I went out to greet him with a quilt on my head. I wanted just the right moment for him to see my new 'do.' Matt just took a picture of my new hair, which will be posted to the blog once we find the cord. For now, this is my story...

!EXTREME MAKEOVER/HAIR SPECTACULAR DEB

No comments: