Tuesday 25 May 2010

Great Weekend at The Bear

Had a great weekend at Great Bear Campground in Lower Queensbury. Down by the water with our RVs and tents. Three families living together for three days and three nights. Campfires -- many hour campfires, canoe rides, leisurely walks and just plain sittin' around. Playing with grandchildren. Drawing pictures. Playing Scrabble on a picnic table. Falling back over my chair and rolling out onto the road after trying to get away from the fire that Jon was poking at. Now, that was a pretty site -- looked like a fly on its back, and what with my useless wrists of late, I couldn't get up and Doug had to pick me up off the road. I was laughing so hard it was difficult for him to do anything with me, though. He plunked me back in the chair and I sat some more. How often does a person get to just sit? Especially after rolling on the road and bruising your body.

Doug and I took forever getting home last night. A trip of about 40 kms took 4 hours, as we kept stopping every chance we got. Different campgrounds and look-outs. We didn't want to come home. #1 it was too hot in Fredericton, and #2, we didn't want to come back to reality. That's what happens when one is on vacation, right? Hey, Richard P. in The Pas, I met John Thornton at Everett's Campground. He worked with you at Tolco -- small world, isn't it? Amazing. He is a cartographer and works between New Brunswick and out west. We thought it amazing that he knows you and we know you!

Today, I loaded up my sewing machine and drove up to Greenhill Lake Camp to sew curtains for most of the day. The dining room needed a refurbish. Janette was already there waiting for me, and Doris joined us after a bit, ready to sew as well. After a few trial and errors with my sewing machine -- bobbins jamming and the needle eye being invisible to my bifocaled eye, I began the sweat shop process of sewing in the heat of the day. It felt good to sew straight lines -- therapy. Janet White #1 would be happy. She likes it when I sew straight lines. She could have been there, too, but went to a wedding! On a Tuesday morning! E & J's daughter, I believe. While I was there, had a bit of a scare as the doctor's office called Doug and told him they wanted to see me. My heart started pounding, and I went weak at the sewing machine. Stopped those straight lines and called them straightaway. Found out that they just wanted to fill out some tax forms, so doc has to see me. Yet another doc appointment. Whew. Felt strange the rest of the day, though. Fear is a liar!

After teaching three students, we went to the Fredericton Ladies Choir concert at Fredericton High School. Graduated there in '77. Long time ago. Nat & Jon did as well. Felt strange to be there and sit in the cafeteria and theatre -- lot of life has happened since I was there. Good and bad. Life is like that. Must go for a walk with my sweetie and recap the day.

No comments: