Wednesday 2 February 2011

Groundhog Day

"Regardless of which Groundhog Day predictor you rely on, according to the calendar the first day of spring 2011 is only 46 days away.

It’s not rocket science to arrive at that figure since February has 28 days and spring is March 20th. According to reports ‘Wiarton Willie didn’t see his shadow so an early spring is on the way! In case you haven’t heard of Wiarton Willie, is the official groundhog of Wiarton, Ontario, Canada.

Not only did Willie not see his shadow but reports are flying around that neither did his cousin Shubencadie Sam from Nova Scotia.
It’s interesting to note that Puxatawney Phil got his usual mention but why was that US southern gentleman Beauregard :Lee left out? In any case according to a Canadian study, Willie has a 37% correct prediction rate.

Statistics from National Climatic Data Center claim these groundhogs have a 39% accuracy score." (ecanadanow.com)

46 days to Spring! Yeah! You wouldn't know it by looking outside. It's a blizzard out there! I am snug as a bug in a rug in my little house. Students have been appearing throughout the day, although a few have decided not to venture out on the roads. Don't blame them.

I love snow days. I love snow and watching it fall softly on the pine trees.

Southshore Sister is soon 3 years short of 50 (this Friday). Imagine. My little sister is almost in my decade. Soon and very soon, Sis, you'll be in your 50's. Just thought I'd mention that.

Watch out for the groundhogs out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

46 days...not sure I can last that long! And those are pretty low percentages of being correct! :P I know how much you love snow, but I am VERY tired of all this snow and cold. Not a fan of winter at all. But on a good note I am VERY much looking forward to Saturday and hope it doesn't snow too much this weekend! See you soon!

Krista

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me!! But guess what... I'll never be able to catch up to you!! Love to my "older" sis!
Fr: S.S. Sis

Anonymous said...

We leave on Monday for warmer climates to escape this cold weather. Can't wait. I hope Willy is right this year and spring is just around the corner. Happy birthday today to the south shore sister (cousin). I can't believe you are 50 and still as beautiful as ever!

The Undertaker