Tuesday 10 March 2009

The Quilt of Life

"Blessed are those whose strength is in You, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs, the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, til each appears before God in Zion. Hear my prayer, O Lord God Almighty; listen to me, O God of Jacob…" (Psalm 84:5-7).

This was my reading this morning, and I wondered about the Valley of Baca, and how "they" made it a place of springs. Baca was a dry place, but the pilgrims were on their way to Mount Zion to worship God. It didn't matter that the valley was dry; "they" were so happy to be on their way to the mountain. They went from "strength to strength," as their journey was a difficult one. They found new levels of strength for each leg of the journey, until they reached their destination – the mountain top and God's presence. "Blessed are those whose strength is in You." Yes, my strength is in You, O Lord. Give me new strength at this halfway point.

Went to the OT director's house to work on my quilt this afternoon. Had to use my seam ripper and rip out one whole row of blocks, as I was not satisfied with the way the points went together. I thought to myself: "Wouldn't it be great if I could just rip out the parts of my life that don't look right, and sew them all over again?" But I know that's not possible. I have to be happy with the quilt I'm given. I proceeded to sew the quilt blocks together again and discovered that some of them were still not perfectly matched. Something to do with the fact that I'm human, I guess.

Perhaps some day this quilt and the quilt of my life will be beautiful anyway, whether the points match or not.

No comments: