Monday 9 March 2009

We had a wonderful time with our children and grandchildren on the weekend. Stopped and visited with the Pirate on the way, and he and Doug deliberated on one of the Pirate's inventions. They are two peas in a pod; made from the same cloth. Had lunch with the Pirate's parents and cousin W. Of course, we were in Coldstream again, wherever that is. Never been to Coldstream so much in my life, I think. That's OK – it's good to return to one's roots; you realize the value of family when you are 'under the weather.'

On to Jon and Alicia's, to be greeted by three cute grandchildren. I wish it was so easy to see Nat, Josh and Aiden, alas…. Perhaps we'll see them this summer. Afton was her usual Princess self, playing 'mirror, mirror on the wall,' using the fireplace glass as a mirror, standing there in her pink princess dress, not realizing I was watching her with amusement. Jack is still obsessed with trucks and tractors. It's what he thinks about every waking moment. Jon says it's the first thing he talks about when he awakes. Ivy, almost 1, is living up to her name – she climbs on everything, including Jack's toy car carrier, chairs, the couch, and people. She's quite a ham, too, and I don't think she's going to be a princess like her older sister, but a tom-boy. She can push a truck and tractor around the floor with gusto, just like her big brother. I left my ball cap on for awhile in the house, until I asked Jack and Afton if they'd like to see my bald head again. "Feel it," I said, and then they had their hands all over my head, squealing, "Prickly! Prickly!" and laughing with delight. Quite a game – the "Feel Gram Deb's Head Game." Only available for a limited time only. They played it a couple of times over the weekend.

We piled everyone into the van and took off to the back country behind Bath and Bristol. What beautiful country – high and wide. We discovered places like Killoween, Kilfoil and Moose Mountain. The kids all fell asleep. We were looking for some crown land on which to build a fire and roast some marshmallows. But it seemed like everything was privately owned, so after a couple of hours, we came home and Jon built a fire in his yard. He loves living in the country. The kids and I sat in lawn chairs and we made S'mores. I made the kids a miniature 'Frosty.' After I finished building him, Jack said, "Thanks, Gram Deb," in his soft manner. I wanted to melt into the snow myself right about then.

We had dinner together, the kids ran around some more and Jon asked me if I wanted to help serenade the kids to sleep. He played his guitar, and we sat on their beds and sang songs to soothe them to sleep. It was beautiful. They are good parents, and we are privileged to watch them raise these children.

On Sunday after church we drove out back to Kenneth, to the maple sugary. We enjoyed all you can eat pancakes with all the fixin's and all the syrup you could pour on them. Of course, we left with a litre of maple syrup, purchased from their mini-store. A great time was had by all. To Jon's house again for rest and relaxation. Even though I had a headache all day, I managed to read a book by Ken Gire about the life you want, and the life you get. Its premise was that beauty comes out of upheaval. Interesting reading. I'm trying to finish books this year, and have started a list of the ones I'm reading (I also read more than one book at a time). I would also like to read the Bible through in 2009, but just decided last week, so it may be 2010 before I finish.

Before we left their home last evening, Jon put his arm around me and said, "You're a young looking woman." What a great son. He's not afraid to love on his mother. I always think of that book by Robert Munsch – "Love Me Forever," and know that he would cradle me in his arms when I get older, just as I cradled him when he was young. Raising boys to show tenderness is such a great thing. Jack and Aiden are going to be great sons to their mothers.

Natalie called and said Aiden has a new place to store bananas – behind his ears! He loves to smear bananas on his head and then tuck them behind his ears. Aren't babies great? Nat's a great mom, and is enjoying Aiden's antics. Both Aiden and Ivy will be one year old this month. Hard to believe a whole year has passed. Must be about time for another grandbaby or two to make an appearance, don't you think?

Today was a busy day: Passport office (I've been trying to get my passport for over a year), Dr. Randall's office, Sears, Zellers, a sporting store, Dr. Christie's office, the hospital for PICC line treatment, topped off with a 40 minute walk at Willie Wonka. I prayed for favour today, and that I wouldn't have to wait too long (especially at the passport office). Everywhere I went, it was like clockwork – it was like everyone was waiting for me. Favour. I bought new sneakers today. My old ones are just not providing the support I need. Salesperson Billy waited on me and was so helpful and kind. I told him I was going to mention him on my blog. He even taught me how to tie my sneakers properly to prevent get shin splints while walking. I've been tying my sneakers for how many years now, and never knew that there was a different way to tie a sneaker. You can learn something new every day, I guess. When I asked him how much the sneakers were, he told me the price (over $100.). I really wanted ones that were less expensive, but they didn't have them in stock. He looked at me and said, "I can make them $20.00 cheaper for you." (Because he didn't have the ones I wanted in stock). I knew that this was favour – "I'll take them!" We talked about my situation, and his experience with cancer in his family. We talked about his life and what he wanted to do for a career. He told me that he wants to be a teacher. I encouraged him to do so. We shook hands and I thanked him. I felt loved, even while buying new shoes. Thanks, Billy.

My thoughts and feelings are buried so deep inside it's hard for me to voice them. Sometimes I'm afraid to let them out because I might cry too much. But these past couple of days, I do know that God loves me, and that He won't leave me. He has shown me His love through our children, grandchildren, and the people I encountered throughout this spring day.

2 comments:

Linda said...

*Sigh* ... Deb, such great stuff! Such hard stuff, but mostly great stuff! Thank you - again - for "loving on us" as you write about all of this and unpack your heart for us. You are a gem!

... hmmm ... gem ... Jem ... remember Jem? Jem and the Holograms - was that not a favorite show for our girls back in the day? :-) oxo

Anonymous said...

I know the joy of raising boys, and truly hope my sons while grow up to be tender, God-loving men.

Krista