Tuesday 17 March 2009

Ivy’s Day



Granddaughter Ivy MacDonald is now officially one year old today. On St. Patrick's Day. A Scottish baby born on an Irish holiday. Happy Birthday, Ivy! Gram Deb and Papa love you!

I awoke early and read my Amish novel for over an hour. With all the hats I've been donning, I'm beginning to feel a bit Amish myself. Perhaps I'll break out the long skirts next and wear them around the house. Puttered around for awhile and sat down to read again at 10:30. The OT director arrived, and we bundled up for a long spring winter walk out to my beloved strawberry field and trek on the snowmobile trails in the forest. A beautiful day and a beautiful walk. Home to make lunch and enjoy some of Cousin C.s' chickpea orange chocolate cake that she whipped up for me today. It's a hit, C. – Brenda and the boys enjoyed it for supper as well, along with frozen cappuccino yogurt. I tried to work on my taxes this afternoon, but alas, did not accomplish much. I have a bit of a chill and was wrapped up in an afghan for the afternoon. Brenda made supper and now they are cleaning up. We're going to try and hit the Nasis Field House track and do a few laps. Perhaps the boys can play soccer or badminton on the courts. They went skiing at Crabbe today, so they are a bit worn out. We'll try and wear them out some more. Brenda's boys, Aaron and Luke, are 14 and 12 and are nice looking specimens. Nice boys, I think. I'm a bit prejudiced.

Doug is still on his fast. It's strange not having him eat with me. He's waiting for his tongue to turn pink before he stops. I hope it turns pink soon. He feels good, though. I'm proud of him. I told him that if I can go through chemo, he can sacrifice food for a few days. It is his choice – he wants to be healthy. This is amazing for him to do this, I think.

I'm tired, but pushing through the day. I want to do what I can when I have the energy. Sometimes, however, perhaps I push myself too much. Oh well, that's just my nature.

Had a call from Natalie. I had drop shipped a birthday present to Sears in The Pas for Aiden's birthday. She went and picked it up today. I ordered a chair/table from Fisher Price that is a musical chair with songs, and the alphabet and numbers. She said it came in French – the directions, the songs – everything. Josh thought I ordered it that way on purpose. Not! They thought it was very funny. I told her to try and exchange it. If not, I guess he will be bilingual. Who knows, perhaps the day I ordered it, I was thinking en francais. Sometimes I do speak French, you know. Remember Charlene Madonna? (those of you who know this story).

Brenda is now cutting Luke's hair with Doug's hair mowing machine in my kitchen. Now I have a barbershop. Go figure. You never know what's going to happen in this house. I love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Ivy is a year. :) I remember how overdue and uncomfortable looking Alicia was as Tanya's matron of honour a year ago. :)
Happy birthday Ivy!

Krista