Monday 23 March 2009


The pain has subsided somewhat – now it's a dull ache all over my body. I found out today that it is myalgia, a side effect of this new chemo drug. I have realized over the past few days what people in pain go through – in their bodies AND in their emotions. I have lived with pain for most of my married life (fibromyalgia), but this was quite extreme. To rise above pain is difficult. I am learning so many things – things I didn't really want to learn, however…

Sunday we traveled to Jon and Alicia's for Ivy's first birthday party. Grandparents and great-grandparents and cousins were there to help celebrate the birthday of this cute kid. Jon and Alicia's children have so many grandparents! Afton and I decorated cookies before the party. It was good to do something creative and get my mind off the pain. It is such a privilege to have grandchildren and see them grow. Ivy wore a sweet yellow dress to the party and was totally unaware of why there were so many people there. She's just downright adorable.

Today I studied, did laundry (I do not take for granted the 'privilege' of housework now, given my limited ability to do it), visited the bank, went for a walk in Odell Park, had a conversation with Pastor Patrick at Superstore, attended the oncology unit for weekly line care, spilled a complete glass of ice water on the floor (every time I go there I make a spectacle of myself, it seems), had an encouraging conversation with Karen, my nurse, and stopped at Service Canada to file for CPP disability pension (who would think I would ever be doing that…). Now I'm a bit weary. When I have the least bit of energy, I do whatever I can. I must keep moving, and I need goals for every day. I'll be glad when I can complete the paperwork I need to get done; it's been hanging over my head for months now. You know, we should always keep ahead of paper, because when you're unable to think properly, it is very difficult. I need a secretary. I decided that a long time ago.

Here's a verse that encouraged me today: The Lord will save me, and we will sing with stringed instruments all the days of our lives in the temple of the Lord. (Is 38:20). Another version puts it this way: Think of it – the Lord is ready to heal me! I will sing his praises with instruments every day of my life in the Temple of the Lord. Think of it! I must go strum a few chords on the guitar. I need to remind myself to play more often.

No comments: