Friday 3 July 2009

I'm a 'Puffer' & Failure is Success

Last evening, the four of us walked the waterfront down by the bay. Beautiful summer night it 'twas, with sailboats, mini cruise liner and gigantic fishing boats. I also like these walking tours in Shelburne. If you've never been, please come. You can no doubt stay at the Southshore Sisters' place. On our walk down the main street, we came upon a Honda Magna V30 motorcycle for sale: $2,000 or best offer. I shouted, "Doug! There's my bike!" I wonder if he'll take $500. for it? Brenda didn't think it was a good idea. We walked on, but it's still in my head. I can't seem to convince Doug and Brenda of my need for freedom on the road. Perhaps I'll have to get a convertible instead. The four of us traipsed up to the bedroom after Paul's Cousin Bob visited awhile and watched "Pink Panther 2"(well, at least three of us watched it; Brenda slept, as usual, through the movie). Very funny movie.

Doug and I didn't have much sleep due to my excessive coughing, so this morning Brenda made a call to her nurse friend to get some advice, and in the old grey mare we hopped and made our way to the Roseway Hospital here in Shelburne. As we drove up the Sandy Point Road, I commented that here we were again driving up the Sandy Point Road, going to another hospital (Sandy Point Road was the name of the road in Saint John as well). After about an hour, I was seen by Dr. K., who advised that I be started on a puffer (ventolin), with attached aerochamber, which would assist me in inspiring the ventolin correctly. He said it was like a big cigar. I said that was good, since I thought I should take up smoking (sometimes you just feel like going to extremes, especially when you've done everything 'right' to achieve good health over the years). Actually, he did ask me if I smoked as he peered down my throat cavity. I never have and never will. He also gave me a prescription for an antibiotic if I need it, but that I needed to start puffing two times, morning and evening. So, I'm a puffer now. He told me that sometimes radiation affects the bronchial tubes, and considering I finished radiation two weeks ago, perhaps this is why I contracted this lovely little condition. So, after acquiring the goods from the pharmacy and paying $34.00 for the aerochamber, which looks like a small airplane made out of plastic, I administered the strange tasting stuff for the first time in my life. I remember having a friend years ago who used a puffer, so I did have some experience with watching her, I guess. I can't wait til tonight til I can puff again.

When we came out of the hospital today, we talked to a man named Sandy (lots of Sandys today). He's a singer, too, and we performed last year at Aunt Viv's church in Cloverdale, wherever that is (if you have never been to Cloverdale, go. I'm sure you can stay at Aunt Viv's ranch and play with Pippin, the horse). Sandy told me that his other singer friend (who I met), had a major motorcycle accident about a month after we sang last year. He was only 1,000 feet from home and a lady rammed into him with a car. Brenda piped up and said to Sandy, "Oh, Deb, wants a motorcycle..." as if to say, "Tell her, tell her not to be so foolish." Sandy just looked at me with caution in his eyes. "OK, OK, I know, Doug almost died on a motorcycle years ago, and I know, people in cars don't see you and all that." I think it's about time I gave up the motorcycle petition. I'm not making much headway.

Now on to "Failure is Success." What do I mean by this? Well, let me explain. I called Dr. Murdock in Fredericton today to find out the results of my hormone blood tests. He came on the phone and said, "Well Deb, it appears that your ovaries have failed. Your FSH is 53 and your estradiol level is 32, and anything under 100 means you are in menopause. You won't require surgery. I'll write a note to Dr. Raza explaining this change and you can be switched over to the other drug (aromatase inhibitor)." Isn't that great! We were out on the sundeck hearing this news -- me, Brenda and Doug. I high-fived Brenda and shouted, "YES! I'm in menopause!" What celebration took place. My ovaries have failed and now I'm officially in the change of life. Who would think? At only 49 3/4 years of age! But bless God -- I don't need more surgery, and it definitely explains all the symptoms I've been having the past couple of years. I really didn't think he would tell me that I had achieved this stage yet, so it was a total surprise. It gave me an extra boost of hope because they won't have to battle estrogen production like they would if was still perimenopausal. So, failure of my ovaries meant success in another area.

I am reading a book about menopause written by a female gynecologist. Very interesting and I'm learning lots about this new phase in my life. She says that your attitudes, thoughts, beliefs, and expectations greatly impact how you experience menopause. She cites that the !Kung tribe women (yes, they have an exclamation point at the first of their name!) in southern Africa enjoy a higher social status after menopause, and as a result, instead of dreading the transition, very much look forward to it. Their entire culture is in agreement with this belief. Not surprisingly, the !Kung don't have menopausal symptoms; in fact, they don't even have a word for "hot flash" in their language!

So, now another stage of life to go through. I'm not getting older, I'm getting better, right? (Those of you old enough might remember that beauty commercial from eons ago).

Well, it's time for dinner again. Paul's mother, Sybil, and Aunt Fran have come to be with us for the evening. We will no doubt play a game of cards with them -- they love to play cards, and they are very good. It's challenging trying to keep up with them. They crack me up. I hope I don't laugh too hard, or I might have to take an extra puff.


!Deb, the Menopausal Mama on a Puffer
x0

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good news Deb!

Hmmmm... I have a title for a song you should write... Menopausal Mama

Can't wait to hear the lyrics

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb!!! So happy you saw the dr - now we can puff together!!!!! I don't have the aero chamber though, i've advanced beyond that stage!!!! And so excited you in are menopause!!! NO SURGERY! PRAISE GOD!

I like the !Deb - i think you should keep it. Love you lots!
laurie

Linda said...

!Indeed, the !Deb suits you - it kinda says it all, doesn't it!?! :-)

Wonderful news, !Deb! oxo :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay Deb! So happy you won't need that surgery!!

Krista

Unknown said...

Hurrah for menopause-it is great,especially when you don't need surgery.