Tuesday 7 July 2009

Strawberries & Massage

I didn't get up until 9 and coughed most of the morning. I sat on the verandah in the cold with a cold, trying to will the sun to come out. But alas, it did not. So, I came inside and put on the furnace. Imagine, a furnace fired up on July 7th! Mom and Dad arrived after 11 with strawberries they picked for me (aren't they great? I've been treated like a queen this year). Mom hulled them and I froze most of them. After lunch, I drove her home and went to my lymphatic massage appointment. I heard this was a good thing to do after having chemotherapy. Jolanta, the therapist from Poland, worked on my sore shoulder as well, and stretched my arm where I had surgery on the lymph nodes. She thought I had great range of motion. The lymphatic massage was so gentle I wasn't sure whether it was doing anything or not, but I'm going back on Friday morning to have another session.

After going to the Superstore to try and find Certo and bottle caps (it is very difficult to find ANYTHING at my favorite store since they've moved everything), I came home and attempted to make a batch of jam. Tape the directions to the cupboard, don my reading glasses and read VERY carefully. Prepare beautiful berries, sugar and Certo in a large pot. Forget to read the directions and alas, midway through, discover I did not do it correctly. So I tried to make up some method for getting it to gel, thinking I could 'trick' the jam into gelling. Jam is not a person -- it's 9:00 p.m. and it's as runny as a river.

Doug and I walked over to the strawberry fields tonight and I picked a couple more boxes to eat. Don't know whether I'll attempt jam again. Perhaps I should RECORD the directions on a tape recorder, very slowly, and try again.

So, did the massage work? Not sure. Did the jam work? Not sure. Nothing's a sure thing, is it?

Tomorrow is an exciting day -- out to lunch with Janet White #2 and Jessica, then off to be fitted for a brand new breast!

No comments: