Tuesday 20 October 2009

I’m a Winner Again!

Received a phone call last evening while teaching guitar that I had won yet another prize at The Run for the Cure. My name was drawn for some nice prizes. I made arrangements with the woman on the end of the phone, and picked them up today. A beautiful large decorative bowl from Wheatons, silver earrings, candles, a three month membership at Curves, and last but not least, a fanny pack for a dog with attached leash (which took me awhile to figure out). I thought perhaps this was a sign to get a dog. I'll think on that, I think. I called Natalie to see if she wanted the fanny pack leash for her dog. She said yes, I think. Either for herself or for a friend, not sure which. I think RCMP man wants a dog, if he can convince Nat. Years ago, they had a German Shepherd named Owen, who visited us on occasion.

It's been a whirlwind two days, and I love it. It's so nice to be normal again and doing normal and not so normal things. It seems like so many opportunities are presenting themselves to me that I can't keep up. And people in my house again – students making music and melodies. Here at The Soul Café.

Yesterday, I dropped in to Paradise Imports to get a specialty coffee, and ended up talking to Jon and Nancy, the owners. Jon is a barista and roasts coffee beans right there in the store and serves up some mighty fine brews. Brenda and I have made several trips to this unique store on York Street to buy jewellery sometimes and coffee always. Check it out. Well, Nancy and I got talking about my journey, and I left with a hug and encouragement from her. I left her my card and my website to check out. She and a few friends organize retreats and breast cancer awareness events. I just may end up speaking there sometimes. She said she wanted a comedian at the next one. I blurted out, "that would be me." I don't know why I said that, but I did. Sometimes I think I'm funny. And I like to speak and make people laugh. And do funny things, so you never know.

I picked up my rolling luggage, courtesy of New Balance. I think I could pack my whole house in this thing, so it will be interesting to see where it takes me. Brenda, have you ever seen so many gifts and prizes that I have received this past year? (She comments on this and shakes her head every so often, so amazed she is at this phenomena).

Today has been a full day. Reading and studying in my office now adorned with an electric fireplace, a trip to UNB to pick up my prizes, over to Green Village to buy a burning bush for a friend, a stop at Max's house for yogurt and tea so that I would have energy to go to the gym, to the gym for a half hour workout on the elliptical trainer (a beast of a machine that kills your thighs and calves), the grocery store for yet more groceries for my full refrigerator, home to put them away and scarf down some chicken, before hightailing it to the radio station to talk and observe the goings on there (more about that at a later date). Then home to teach, have more chicken and take off to choir, play the piano and sing my lungs out. And now here I am again, ready for a hot shower and pjs.

Meditations on this day:

  • Life is full of activity and opportunities arise when you least expect them
  • Life is precious and not to be taken for granted
  • God is always at work around us
  • People are more important than things
  • Music is wonderful
  • I love my fireplace and am enjoying my office once again
  • I enjoy singing beside my mom in choir – I don't take her for granted and value any time I spend with her
  • Stay in the day, !Deb, stay in the day


     

    That's enough for today.


     

No comments: