Tuesday 20 July 2010

Garden Parties, Chickens, Debbies, and Bob & Mary


Today was an interesting day. After the radio show, I walked up to Cousin Els' mother's house for an old fashioned garden party, complete with tea, coffee, sweets, cheese and fruit, a quilted tablecloth, and people in strange garden clothes, especially a woman named Debbie (not me), all decked out in pearls, shawl and long garden dress. Ann H., Noreen, Margie, Lynn, Tammy, Loreen, Els, Lynn's mother from Kingston (imagine, people all the way from Kingston! correct me if I'm wrong, Ann), and myself who arrived late. After a hearty brunch, we ventured outside in our garb (me with a semi-hat on my head), for a garden tour. Wow. If you want to see beautiful flowers and gardens, go to Ruby Street to the Kellys -- you won't be disappointed. Note the picture of the gang at the garden party.

Ann drove me home as I was tired after the garden party. I made a tomato sandwich, and headed for Mactaquac to crash another party -- this time it was for Pam Gordon's 60th birthday party at Janet White #1's house. I believe all the 'chickens' were there. As soon as I came up the stairs, they started singing Happy Birthday -- I thought to me in preparation for my 51st birthday in August, but I was mistaken and I arrived just at the moment they were singing for Pam. It was a bit disconcerting, but I joined right in. I haven't seen the chickens for quite some time. The last time I think was when I crashed their party at the Keswick Church the day I was searching for Janet White #1. Some times I lose her and go looking for her. Debbie Gordon and Susan (who I thought was another Debbie for a short time, as I forgot her name was Susan, my middle name) arrived and more hugs all around. I had a great time with the chickens, drinking and eating and laughing. And crying, as we discussed the recent passing of Arthur Versloot from his accident yesterday (he hit a moose). Pray for the Versloot family of Keswick, as they go through this trying time.

The chickens are a great group of gals and a great support for each other -- and for me. They read the blog and pray regularly for me and each other. I'm glad they make me an honorary member. And they all look so young. Thanks for loving my hair as I enjoy my love affair with my hair and all the curls I have now. You are truly an encouragement to me.

After arriving home and trying to catch some shut-eye on the verandah (not), Doug and I took off to Canadian Tire, Kent Building Supply and Walmart to try and find an air conditioner for the truck, but none to be found in our price range (cheap). So what to do but go to the Superstore, where we met more people -- like Keith McMullin, dentist friend just back from Africa, who prayed for me outside the store, as I told him to pray for me and the pain I have in my body. Why not? I'm sure people were wondering about this man with his hand on my shoulder, praying in public for this strange woman with all the hair. The Superstore is like church to me anyway, might as well pray there. Then to the van to see Shirley and Emily (former student, now 20) and make arrangements to watch a Japanese style animation film with her (something we like to do).

This all on the way to our dinner date at Bob & Mary's (that's the new name they picked for themselves). Doug and I are now Bess and Henry. We had a wonderful meal with them, topped off with homemade raspberry sherbetcreamcheesedessert. (is this really the same day I'm in?). Made connection with their daughter, another 20-year-old and talked of many and sundry things. Had a tour of their house. Talked about how we met. Bob and Doug are inventing something but we can't tell you as you might steal the idea and make it yourself. So, someday maybe you'll see it in the stores (seriously, you never know with my inventor husband and this other intelligent man with the idea).

After ten we came home and went for a walk to wind down after this very full day. Tomorrow will be another one. They always seem to be that way when you love adventure and people. Thanks for listening -- and YOU be blessed.

No comments: