Thursday 29 July 2010

It's Wednesday night here in St. Martins. A very windy day, so windy it would almost blow your socks off if you had socks on. Natalie and Aiden are here and we are learning to live in this contained space with a crib, coffee table, extra clothes for two more people, extra groceries, Natalie camping out on the couch. A good day of relaxing. Walked the main street this morning down to the harbour and back. |Out after lunch to the gift shops where we acquired our treasures – me a blue pottery mug for my collection and some beautiful note cards which I may frame as pictures. Nat picked up six notecards to frame the Maritimes when she gets home in six weeks. So good to have her here.

Nat and Aiden battened down the hatches and had a cat nap this afternoon. Granny and I resumed our Scrabble tournament. Granny won on Monday by a few points. This afternoon's game found me winning by six points (322 to 316). We seem to be quite evenly matched, and hate to lose to the other, although I think Granny really doesn't mind losing to me. She knows I'm quite competitive (but not as competitive as some people I know, like Q or Max).

We purchased some chicken at Huttges General Store today. Mickey Huttges, the owner wasn't there today, so I didn't get my daily grocery rant. He's the Rick Mercer of Grocerydom. I cooked up a hodgepodge of fresh vegetables and made a barbequed sauté chicken dish that I made up on the weekend. After dinner, we ventured far down the mountainous shore to find the ocean, and Aiden had a ball throwing rocks into the ocean. It was hard to lure him back up the steep incline to the campground. We promised him a campfire, but since he's never seen one before, I'm sure that's not why he came with us.

After talking to Doug on the phone, I ventured over to the RV and discovered we were locked out. Someone had flipped the latch and the spare set of keys were locked inside as well. What to do? I know! I'll do what I did two weeks ago at Greenhill Lake – push open the driver's door side window. Well, you should have seen Nat and I up hanging off the side of the truck banging on this truck to no avail – no open window there. Call Doug again..."I put a latch on that so it won't open anymore, I told you that; that's why you need to take the spare keys with you..." "But I didn't PLAN on locking the door, so why would I take the keys?" He told me another way – get a stepladder and climb in the slide-out window over the table. Right. So, innovation struck, and the three warrior women – one four months pregnant, one older but lithe, and one without usable wrists flung into action. Gran and Nat moved the newlywed's picnic table over close to our RV, just below the window to be broken into. (The newlyweds live beside us and come and go like birds in the wind; they are 'older' newlyweds, to say the least. And that's an understatement. Or is it?) We were hoping the newlyweds wouldn't come back too soon and see us standing atop their table with all their goods on the ground. Granny took Aiden away in the stroller, as he was getting annoyed that he couldn't be held by his mother. Nat and I went to try and find Byard but he was not in our line of sight. We saw a step ladder in his workshed. We stole it, er, rather, borrowed it. Nat carried it, since I'm the one with the wrist non-action. A tall, rather thin man approached us from the seasonal section. "Do you need help?" Why yes, we locked ourselves out, and you look rather thin – come with us, you can help. As we arrived back at our site, there was Byard and another campground worker on the ground by our sewer, doing something with our hose. I still don't know why he was there, but he caught us with his stepladder, and made some snide comment that it wasn't too cold outside tonight for us sleeping outside on the ground (with a baby, no less). What a joker, Byard is. Anyway, the stepladder went atop the table, tall Captain Kirk climbed the ladder, Nat held open the window, and the campground man held the ladder. Captain Kirk managed to wrangle his long, lean body into our RV aided by the aide. Byard took off somewhere. I went to meet the hero at the front door as he emerged from the Starship Enterprise. I thanked him and shook his hand – mission accomplished. He came along at the right time, and we were saved from sleeping on the ground. Off he went into the campground. I wonder if we'll see him again, or was he an angel? I told him if I would bring Doug around to meet him when Doug arrives.

Called Doug again – "You don't have to come down – we got in. And by the way, you built this big rig and you don't even have a hide-a-key?" "I made one the other day, I'm bringing it down." Great. I found the spare set of keys I had in my wallet in the closet and threw them in the side carton (that's what I like to call it, for lack of a better name).

Nat and I were so hyped from this break-in adventure that we began to eat hilariously. Furiously eating a bag of chips, then I took out the residual carton of ice cream, threw in some roasted almonds, and chowed down on that as we were collecting chocolate chips, marshmallows, graham crackers and peanut butter for the campfire feast. Jed did a great job on the campfire and we relaxed once again.

It's 10:35. Aiden is asleep and Nat is reading by the light of the Sylvania Dot-It. I am typing in the dark, and going to try and finish a book called "Edge Seasons" by Beth Powning of Sussex, NB. I need to find out how her mid-life crisis works out. I think I'm in one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your life is just one huge adventure isn't it? Glad you share them with us. Tell if you get to meet the rescuing guy ever again.