Tuesday 3 February 2009

A few things

The second day of my second chemo. It has been a good day. Nausea has been controlled, just tiredness and I have had a few naps on and off throughout the day. I was able to concentrate to read this morning and do Pilates. Mom came and cleaned my house from top to bottom, being the workhorse she is. Cuz C. arrived with a polka dot plant and gluten-free cupcakes she made for me using black beans in place of flour. K. came the other day with her chocolate brownies. Sweets for the sick program. The OT director roared in next with peanut butter bars, sat down and began to knit slippers and watch I Love Lucy episodes that she bought. S. arrived bearing her weekly clementines and stew that she thought was chicken but turned out to be roast beef. Doug and I ate the stew, then he read to me as I fell into a deep sleep. He's such a soothing reader. Now I have a bit of energy with which to blog.

Wanted to bring you up to date on a luncheon we had last week – the hat lunch. I told them if I had to wear a hat, so did they. Even the dog donned a hat, though unwillingly.




On Sunday, I went on a secret mission in conjunction with the OT Director. She constructed the newest member of the Frosty family – Frosty's brother, Frosted. I took pictures. It was part of our ongoing drive-by snowman making activity. S. was away in Halifax again (it seems like she goes there every week). She was pleasantly surprised to arrive home and see her new family member, although the dog was not too pleased and continues to bark at Frosted.


I received an email the other day from friends out west (Travis & Debbie Parent & Don & Ann Parent), at Shepherds Gate, who have a ranch outside Moose Jaw. They have adopted children and take in foster kids. It was Debbie's birthday on the 31st, and they all wore hats for me and took this picture. They provide a great home for these children, and if you're interested in supporting them, please let me know and I'll give you the details.




On Saturday past, my Uncle F. presented me with a fold-up table he made for me, handpainted by another citizen of Coldstream. It is beautiful. I will cherish it because he made it for me. Uncle F. reminds me of my grandfather. I have never received so many gifts in my life. I do not deserve them. It's like God's love; we don't deserve that, but we receive it anyway, with gladness and thankfulness.


I am waiting with anticipation for my sister Brenda to arrive from Shelburne and stay for a few days. She's a workhorse, as well, but I'm sure she will settle down long enough to play a game of Scrabble or Dominoes with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb! First of all - you look amazing! I can't wait to see you in person. Second - I would love to have the info on how to support Travis & Deb's ministry. We've been want to support them for awhile but we never knew how to go about it. We miss them SO much - the boys are getting so HUGE, eh?!

Let me know if you ever need anything. I'd love to make you something special if you can ever think of anything!

Love you!! xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Holly -- you can support their ministry by mailing a cheque to:

Shepherds Gate Ministries Inc.
Box #99
Caron, SK
S0H 0R0