Saturday 14 February 2009

Growing Older, Writing, Passion and Determination

Friday's devotions were about God's provision, then I moved on to the topic of growing older. This was a chapter in Max Lucado's book, He Still Moves Stones. I gained new insight into growing older. Over the past couple of years, I've had a strange fear of growing older, even though I know my eternal destiny. I didn't want to grow older. Now I want to – what was I thinking? I remember the old TV commercial when I was young that touted, "You're not getting older, you're getting better." I think it was a hair colour commercial. Correct me if I'm wrong, Linda (or Reg, who remembers basically everything). I'm not getting older, I'm getting better. There – I feel much better.

While doing the morning Daily Gleaner puzzles, I came up with a title for my new book. I've been quoting from the 1923 publication, How to Manage Housework in Canada. I think I'll write a book called, @Home: A 2009 Compendium: How to Manage Being at Home in Canada. It will include topics such as:

  1. "How to Set up an Exercise Program in Your Home, Boot Camp Style" - trampoline in one room, push-ups and sit-ups in another, running on the stairs, somersaults on the bed, pull-downs on the shower rod, etc.
  2. "Household Hints for the Homebound" – tips I've learned while staying at home for one year
  3. "Craft Ideas for the Craft-Challenged"
  4. "Chores are Fun"
  5. "Marriage Builder Tips"
  6. "Music to Live By"
  7. "Increase Your Brainpower" – puzzles, riddles, interesting information and enigmas
  8. "Using Your Home as a Floral Shop" – always have fresh flowers and learn how to make your plants flourish
  9. "Photography in the Home – The Lost Frontier" – taking pictures of strange items and preserving history
  10. "Creating Culinary Delights in Your Shack" – delight your taste buds, but not your waistline
  11. "Entertaining 101" – let other people do the cooking when you're not able to
  12. "Sewing: Should You Attempt the Craft or Sell Your Machine?"
  13. "Teach Yourself Music" – music basics 101
  14. Learn How to Blog" – just start typing
    And so on…. This book is in the preliminary stages – just thought of it now. Any interest out there? I'm open for pre-orders.

    Cousin C. dropped over to present valentine gifts, including gold tweezers to pull my hairs out, given that my scalp has been hurting again, a sure sign more hair is ready to come out (don't read this, Workhorse Daughter). More candy and an angel pin. She was accompanied by two 3-year-olds, Isabel and Madelyn, who wanted to see the nice bald lady next door. They never took their eyes off me. Thanks for coming, girls!

Mom stopped by and did my dishes. Dad hugged me. I sent them off to their own home to do their own chores. I was determined to exercise, having a burst of energy. I flopped the trampoline on the floor and thought I would start boot camp exercises using various rooms and stairs in the house. I lasted one minute and then had a hankering to go to Willie Wonka's to walk. I hadn't been there for 3 weeks. Bundled up real snug and went outside to find the car covered with ice. Started it up and left it running for awhile, as I went back into the house to recover. What should I do while waiting? Write a song on the piano, of course, which Doug saved on my ITunes later. I call it "Valentine." Max wants a copy of it.

Back outside and tried to get into the car, but alas the driver's door was frozen shut, so I had to get in the passenger's side and climb over the stickshift into the driver's seat. Ever try to do this on the best of days, let alone with two less-than-working arms? But I'm determined to get to Willie's. On the way, stopped at Shoppers, and once again, I did not set the alarm off. Did some grocery shopping there, then across the bridge to Aura Foods to pick up a couple of gifts that someone left there for me (don't YOU pick up gifts at a health food store? I do, apparently).

Finally arrived at Willie Wonka. Plugged the IPod Touch in a pocket in my coat arm, and walked at a very good clip for 40 minutes until my hips hurt, listening to the opera music of Paul Potts. Fantastic music. I was in heaven and felt like crying out and singing opera myself, but restrained the urge. Wanted to throw off my hat and run baldheaded around the track. But you're not supposed to run there; it is strictly a walking track. At that moment, it didn't matter what I looked like. My spirit was soaring. Life is beautiful, isn't it? The music was so beautiful and my walk was very spiritual. I didn't understand a word Paul sang, but my spirit did. He sings with such passion; just an ordinary man who won British Idol a few years ago (I put a video on the blog a couple of months ago).

At Willie Wonka, the walkers are on one level, high above the ice rink. Down on the ice it was freeskate time. An older couple, I'd venture to say in their 70's, were doing the most amazing moves – little jumps, pirouettes, skating like they were in the World Championship pairs dancing competition. You could tell they had been figure skaters in their younger days. It didn't matter who was watching, they were enjoying themselves. I don't know if they were aware they had an audience high above them --- but to them it didn't matter -- they were in love and in love with what they were doing. They had passion. And they were 'older.' They inspired me to continue walking, and walking as fast as I could. If my hips hurt, it didn't matter – they were jumping and twirling! They inspired me to keep going, no matter what my age or what health I was in.

Sped home in my trusty Nissan to prepare a tuna melt in a cast iron pan. Can't beat that, now can you? My grandmother cooked herself back to health when she was in her 30's (my mom was young), using a cast iron cook pan. One of the things she ate was pan-fried liver. I'm not there yet. She had some sort of blood disorder, and died young, at 67. We never knew why she died so young. She had a short life, but a good one. My grandmother was a peacemaker, and loved by all.

My mom now is approaching an age milestone, just as I am this year. Growing older, I think that I can accept that now. I would rather grow older than pass away at this time. Mom and I have been discussing growing old lately. She discovered that 70 is the year of new beginnings (not that she needs to use that knowledge now!). And that age 50 is the year of Jubilee (not that I need to use that knowledge now!). It is also a year that all property was restored to the Jewish people and debts were forgiven. People dusted themselves off, picked themselves up, and started all over again. I'm going to do that this year.

I'm going to state that when I turn 50 in late August, it will be like I am a one-year-old. (I used to say that I was 1 at age 45, but I'm changing that now; it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind). I want to grow old, with health, and with passion for whatever I do, just like those two lovebirds on the ice today at Willie's Place. And that Doug and I will grow old together. I don't want to leave him alone. I'm going to keep my walkin' boots on and walk myself to health and keep my walkin' spirit alive. I have determination to live and live I'm going to do. "These boots were made for walkin,' and that's just what they'll do; one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you." Nancy Sinatra, eat your heart out – I'm walkin.'

Margie, Ryan and Maria came to visit and bless me. Ryan and Maria are piano students. They gave me a piano concert, and I was so blessed. I am blessed because these students now have students. I have replicated myself. I have made a difference already – my students are surpassing me. And isn't that a teacher's goal? We talked and laughed, and I shed a few tears. I sent them off with hugs and Hershey Kisses. I like to give parting gifts.

Randopho and his wife S. came for dinner. Randolpho created pizza in our kitchen, and served us a wonderful Italian meal. We ate until we were stuffed. Then we had an I Love Lucy marathon. And laughed and laughed. We love to laugh. We love life. We love friends.

Saturday morning I awoke to Doug serving me coffee at bedside (which he does every weekend morning). What a husband I have. His valentine present to me was to paint the baseboard in the kitchen and touch up the kitchen wall, while I made breakfast and tried to do my word puzzles. Alas, my brain was not functioning this morning and I did not succeed – I could not unscramble the mixed-up letters. Oh well, tomorrow perhaps my brain will work better. Doug said that at last I had his brain – he can't unscramble stuff either. I think he's talking about when I talk in code to him, I but didn't want to ask any personal questions.

I made cornmeal blueberry muffins and stove-top butterscotch pudding. Max came for lunch and we had AJ's soup. I told her she had to come and taste this stuff. She agreed about its quality. Doug took off to help L & M move furniture, and Max and I settled down for a couple of hours to watch Fireproof, a new movie by the producers of Facing the Giants. It is an amazing movie and I highly recommend it. We both shed several tears, and I realized that I want to grow old with my husband. I don't want to tell you anything about the movie. Rent it or buy it – soon.

Max left the movie theatre to go on a Valentine evening with her hubby. Doug came home, and I watched the movie again with him. He cried more than I did, and we held each other at the end of the movie. He prayed for me once again – thanking God for his wife, asking God for health, and the opportunity to grow old together.

There, my last two days. I want to grow old. I want passion for everything I do. I want to write a book. I am determined to live.

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul. – General Douglas MacArthur

They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the LORD is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. – Psalm 92:14-15

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really want to watch Fireproof with Jeff, but he says he'll only watch it if I borrow it from someone. Any ideas?

Krista

Anonymous said...

So glad you love Paul Potts music, he is fabulous, isn't he?

Definitely start writing this book of yours, ....can't wait to read it!

Love,

Flic Flac Mom