Thursday 12 February 2009

Quiet Thursday

Today was spent entirely in my house, all by myself. Should I sing a song about that? I spent the entire morning in the chair studying and reading. I was very tired today. After lunch, I spent the entire afternoon in the chair, snuggled up with my precious pink afghan that L. made me. Little did she know I would use this so much. Watched Survivor tonight, simply because I want to see how they survive, and I plan on doing another survivor retreat in September. I'll be on the mend by then. It will be nine months then – long enough to have a baby, although I'm a bit too old to have a baby. Or then, again, am I?

Thought I would post a little from How to Manage Housework in Canada, circa 1923 (though I didn't really manage any housework today; the Gov't of Canada would be disappointed in me). Here's my selection for this quiet Thursday.

Each season brings its own work. The winter, being the time of more leisure, especially in the country, is the time for Spring and Summer sewing to be done. Clothes are of great importance to the comfort, social standing and work of the individual, and good materials, which will always give pleasure and satisfaction, are much the cheapest in the end (I guess I shouldn't have shopped at Winners the other day, but made my own clothing instead, with all the spare time I have). Get a dressmaker or a reliable merchant or a friend, who knows about such things, to explain to you how to judge materials (where are you Janet White #1?). Good books on textiles and clothing may now be bought and are a great help. Patterns for babies' and children's clothing may be bought for a small sum and they are useful. (For someone else, perhaps).

On the other hand, one good "tailor-made" suit for Mother (that would be me) is a real economy. Such a suit cannot be made properly except by a professional (you got that right, considering my sewing skills). It "pays for itself" by lasting well and looking well. The "ready-made" suit and dress may be bought in many good shops.

Sewing table-linen and house-linen is pleasant work; dating and numbering the pieces when you mark them is a good plan (I think I'll pass).

A good sewing-machine, as everyone knows, is almost indispensable. In a rural community, co-operation in buying and using a sewing-machine may be found a good plan (does anyone want to borrow my machine?) A small electric motor attached to it saves much time and strength. (Mine has electric power). Modern attachments which are used to make button-holes, hems, felled seams (whatever that is), and simple trimmings are also really helpful.

There, hopefully, you are now inspired to dust off that Singer and get to numbering and dating your pieces to make a nice suit for yourself, or a new tablecloth. I think I'll just look at my machine and dream of sewing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or perhaps you should sell your machine and buy a new one :)

Love The Workhorse