Wednesday 18 February 2009

Fire and a Mountain Climb

Had a good night's rest for the second night in a row. However, after breakfast I became extremely tired and a bit discouraged, for no apparent reason. So I persevered in my study. I was studying about trials and being tested by them. "But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" (Job 23:10). Yes! I hope I'm a bar of gold when I'm through this.

Then, I read this: "So be truly glad! There is wonderful joy ahead, even though it is necessary for you to endure many trials for awhile. These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold – and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold" (1 Pet 1:6-7). OK, I must concentrate on the word "awhile" and "strong and pure." I want to be found faithful in this 'awhile' time of my life. The other day I wrote these words in my journal:

I will walk into the fire;

Tho' that is not what I desire

Someday, and maybe very soon

I will know His purpose for this time

Yet for now I simply must remain in His love.

    Daniel and friends walked into the fire

    Trusting in a God who never fails

    Trusting with the faith of a child

    A time of trial, a time of pain.

        Let me rest within the fire

        Tho' it's hard for me to do

        Preserved by Your design and

        Comforted by Your love.

So, I'm in the fiery trial. Today I was reminded of this verse while walking: Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal" (2 Cor 4:16-18). I must keep things in perspective – I live in eternity, and will have an eternal body. I'm waiting for the return of Jesus, who will make all things right. Therefore, these trials are 'light and momentary.' I have to remind myself that this time in my life is temporary.

My parents came to check on me. H. stopped by with my mail to see how I was doing. It's always this way. I get a little down, and God strengthens me with Scripture, then with people. I received a letter of encouragement in the mail from A. in Chipman. Haven't heard from her for awhile, but her note came at the right time. She told me how I had blessed her, and don't we all want to know we make a difference? She blessed me today with the right words at the right time.

It was so beautiful out that I decided to go to Odell Park for a hike through the woods. And hike I did. I climbed every mountain, but did not fjord every stream as they were covered with snow and I couldn't see them! I was all alone, me and God, with snow falling lightly off tall trees. Quiet and beauty, along with the sounds of me panting up the huge mountain. I was determined to conquer it. And I did. I find that when hiking up particularly steep parts that if I look at the ground and pretend I'm walking on level ground, that it makes it easier to climb. (I've always climbed mountains this way and it seems to work). I would arrive at the peak of each section, pause and give thanks – I made it, and kept going til my hips hurt. But it didn't matter. I conquered yet another physical thing. The downward trek was challenging to the muscles as well, but felt so good to be able to exercise. I'm doing this now because next week I'll be in my slow week again. When the sun shines, walk, I guess.

When I arrived at Odell, I encountered a woman photographing a woman in a sleeveless wedding dress on the pond bridge. I asked what they were doing. The bride (4 years married) told me she was "trashing her wedding dress." (She is still happily married). The idea is to photograph the bride doing strange things in her wedding dress. It gives the bride another opportunity to wear the dress. The photographer explained that this trend began in Europe she thought, and that some women actually set their dress on fire to get rid of it. Or other forms of destruction. This is done at various times after the wedding. The photographer advertised on-line that she would do this type of photography, and has had many responses. Strange but true! I asked the bride how she was going to get rid of her wedding dress (and it was gorgeous), and she responded, "Oh, I don't know whether I can or not. It's so beautiful." OK…. I don't think she knew what she wanted. Honestly, I come across some strange things on my walks sometimes. I need to ponder this whole concept of trashing one's wedding dress. Mine is still hanging upstairs in my closet. Perhaps I should talk to Doug about hiring a photographer and seeing if he thinks I should do this. Just kidding. It did make me shake my head and laugh, however. Laughter's good.

To the Superstore and Jumbo to rent The Secret Life of Bees, which I plan on watching tonight with Doug. Perhaps I'll put my wedding dress on and sit in the lazy burgundy chair. That in itself would probably trash the 31-year-old dress, considering it doesn't fit me anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog. C and I have been talking about having more of a vision and mindset of heaven so we can live recklessly and with wild abandon for our Lord. Can you tell I finished The Heavenly Man?
Kimm