Saturday 29 January 2011

Utility and Agility

It's Saturday morning and I'm in my office, trying to work on my sermon for tomorrow. I speak at Southampton Church and then over to Temperance Vale church. I found this piece I wrote back in 2005 about a husband (particularly my husband). Thought I'd share it with you.

Doug is out at Floyd's in Charters Settlement building on a trailer to haul behind the RV. A utility trailer of sorts. And I'm sure he's being agile, too, as he crawls under and over pieces of steel. While I'm here at home slaving over a hot computer.


UTILITY AND AGILITY

A husband should have utility and agility. Utility so that he can be counted on to change a lightbulb, a diaper, build a bookcase, or install radiant heat in the floor. Perhaps to hang out the clothes, refinish a hardwood floor, or install a dishwasher. Utility is a quality a wife desires in a husband.

Now, agility, that’s another matter. Agility to catch a flying cup, slipside over the water on the bathroom floor after his wife is finished primping at the bathroom vanity, or an amazing ballerina recovery as he trips over the obstacles his wife places on the staircase.

Nimbleness of hand is an added bonus in the agility department–the ability to shove two or three fingers of his big into a delicate drinking glass as he endearingly does the dishes, or gently latching a necklace of fine design around his woman’s neck. Agility and nimbleness–a perfect pair.

So, utility and agility are essential characteristics for a husband to possess. Add these to your Modern Bride husband characteristics. You won’t be sorry.


Deborah MacDonald
(October 2005)

No comments: