Monday 14 March 2011

Home Again

Home again. Got in after midnight after a LONG day of traveling. Up at 5:30 a.m., but didn't sleep very well, because at 2:30 A.M., I woke up to this tall man in our room. It was RCMP man, sporting a Petzl (headlamp), trying to find his RCMP accoutrements in the dark. It was interesting watching him gather them with that headlamp shining in the room. I asked him if he wanted me to turn the light on, but he said no, and Doug slept through it all. An emergency, RCMP said. A fitful sleep, that's for sure.

Left the house at 6:25 a.m., after holding and kissing Sarah, and holding and kissing Natalie as we said our tearful good-byes. So hard for both of us. We really could live together, we've done it enough since I was sick with cancer. I hated to leave, and had separation anxiety all day. Every time I closed my eyes, I could see Sarah's face smiling at me. I was really attached and now I have attachment disorder. It was like she was my baby, too. Bonding. I guess that's how it is with grandmothers. Like I said, once a mother, always a mother.

The roads to Winnipeg were good for about 300 kilometers, and then....ice roads. Doug likes that show "Ice Road Truckers," and we drove it. Very stressful time for awhile. We encountered every kind of condition on our almost 700 km drive to Winnipeg. We both laid out straight and slept in the airport, using my purse as our pillow. You know, airport culture is strange. People don't really talk to each other, but you'll see people doing all sorts of weird and wonderful things in an airport, and sleeping sitting, and eating everywhere, but in their own little worlds. And very quiet. Until the plane comes in, and then the noise starts. It's like a light comes on and excitement happens -- "We're going up up and away!" You board the plane, get yourself settled and quiet again. If I had my own jet (like I want), I would orchestrate quite a party on that plane -- food, entertainment and music. And extra blankets, just in case you did want to sleep.

Our first plane was late, which meant that we had to rush to our next flight through the Montreal airport. Escalators, pedways, numbers, gates, people, people...ten minutes to spare.

Home after midnight and then a long time before I was able to sleep. Time change is affecting me. Hard to get up this morning and get back in the swing of things.

Went out to get in my car and took off at noon today to run a myriad of errands and lo and behold, I have a flat tire and a broken spring, so there my trusty car sits, at the front of the driveway, one wheel completely off. Whatever am I going to do? I had to call Jed and he drove me around this afternoon.

I bought a vanity for the upstairs bathroom and you should have seen us trying to get that OUT of his CRV. Doug installed it tonight and after he got it installed found out that the marble backsplash is broken -- another trip back to Canadian Tire to see if they will replace it. So, today -- a broken car and a broken vanity.

Maybe I need to go back out west and live at Natalie's. She would take care of me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you aren't happy to be home, but I'm so glad you are, safe and sound (for the most part, right?).

Love,
Krista