Saturday 12 March 2011

Our Last Day Here

We're heading out very early on Sunday morning to make it for our 4:15 flight from Winnipeg. Winnipeg has been experiencing a 'clipper,' and they even shut some of the highway down yesterday, so we're hoping they open it and it is clear by tomorrow for driving. It normally takes about seven hours to drive, but we'll have to allow much more time for the bad roads. Would appreciate your prayers as we travel. A very long day is ahead for us. Plus we have the time change tonight and lose an hour of sleep to boot. We arrive in Fredericton midnight tomorrow night. And we're supposed to work on Monday!

It is 4:34 pm. Only a few more hours here with Natalie, Josh, Aiden and Sarah. I am sad and had a cry as I put Sarah to bed just a few minutes ago. Will I remember what she looks like? I feel like I've been a second mother to her (and to Aiden) these past 3 1/2 weeks. I've bonded with this baby, for sure, and when I go and get her up from having her naps, she smiles at me. It takes me back to when I used to pick up Natalie from her nap. Sarah even reminds me of Nat, so it's even harder. As I rocked Sarah, I realized that a mother is always a mother. That God puts that amazing deep love in a woman's heart for a reason -- to be able to care tenderly for her child for many years, never giving up, even though sometimes she would like to give up. And a grandmother's love is even deeper, I think, having raised your own child and now seeing your children have children. I think the love is unexplainable -- you have to experience it as a grandparent. You see yourself and your children live on at another level. That this little baby is part of me, too. I'm crying right now as I write. Aiden is lying beside me watching "Super Why," one of his favorite PBS shows. I know all the songs from the show by heart and we have great fun singing them together. I'm going to miss him terribly, too. What a joy he is to us.

And last but not least, I'll miss my little girl, Natalie. She'll always be my little girl.

See you in two months, Nat, but talk with you soon. Thank God for Alexander Graham Bell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(((Hugs))) and prayers. :( I hope all of my kids and their families live close to me once they are grown up. I know it probably won't happen, but I can dream.
I hope you had a safe trip home. I really do want to get together with you soon.

Love,
Krista