Thursday 4 June 2009

The Highlands of Scotland

Nurse Cherry and I arrived at this morning's treatment at 8:15, and they called me right in. "Would your friend like to come in as well and see what we do?" asked one of the radiation technicians. We looked at each other in amazement. Cherry got to come in the room while they set me up on the table and then out to the computer for the remainder of the treatment. She was able to watch the whole thing from the computer screen out at the desk. We couldn't believe they allowed this. It was good to have someone share it with me. I feel bad that this is the only thing that Doug cannot share with me – he's in Canada, and I'm in Europe. Someone has to work in this family, I guess, and I just happen to be traveling the world while he brings home the bacon. I miss him.

I met with Dr. Grant and she checked me out. She said I looked better than when she saw me a couple of weeks ago – more colour in my face. I also think I have more colour on my head as well – Katie and Cheryl give me daily updates on the growth of my hair. I'm excited about every little hair that appears and grows taller, some taller than others (I look a bit like a cartoon character, I think). Maybe I'll put a purple barrette in soon; Katie said she'd loan me one. Dr. Grant said that I have some swelling on my site, which is normal, but no sunburn yet, which is good. After tomorrow's treatment I will be half done – eight more treatments to go.

Nurse Cherry fired up the Cherrymobile and we headed home for our second breakfast at 9:30 – I made an egg concoction with fresh chives, accompanied by toast w/honey and a peach. Then off we went for our day's adventure – to the highlands of Scotland. We traveled through yet another Hampton (how many 'Hamptons' have I encountered this week?). It was a beautiful day – the trees lush and the flowers blooming, and the sun shining brightly on the old paved roads as we made our way to Bloomfield to visit a Scottish family, the McCreadys – David & Shelly, Christopher and Julian. We caught up on life in the Highlands, then enjoyed a dinner of salmon, fiddleheads and brown rice, our third meal of the day (some days require more food, don't they?). After prayer and hugs all around, we made our way through the serene countryside, stopping periodically so I could snap photos of a church, horses, and a motorcycle I think Doug should buy for me. I have my license, but for some reason he won't let me drive. I think I should start a petition or a campaign – the "Let Deb Drive a Motor Bike Because She Wants to Feel the Wind in Her Hair" Campaign. Perhaps if I get enough signatures, he will say yes. As it is now, every time I get a hot flash, I hang my head out the window to cool it off. A motorbike would be much easier for me to get cooled off. Every time I do this in the car, I chant, "I'm not a dog, I'm a human being!" (that's for you, Brenda). Tonight when we were walking, a car passed us with a dog hanging out the window, and I retorted, "I'm not a human being, I'm a dog!" I know, I have a strange sense of humour, but it keeps me going.

On to the little village of Norton, to make a surprise visit to one of my adopted daughters, Angie, and her children (Abby, Nason and Elias; Aiden was at school). Angie is going to have another child in September – their fifth child. She needs all the help and prayers she can get! Oh, to have a big family – way to go, Angie! It was good to surprise you today. I took pictures of everyone, and Nurse Cherry took pictures of my hair. It's all about the hair. Angie, get some rest, OK?

Then it was time to go the revenue office to renew the registration for the Cherrymobile before it expired tomorrow. This was hugely important – what would we do without our mode of transportation? I slept in the car for half an hour. On to a local coffee shop and a stop for a chocolate bar, and we made our way along the river again through the Highlands, until we came to a bench on a hill, with a fantastic view of the river. Cherry set up a cherry coloured lawn chair for me to rest in, and we took in the view, binoculars in hand. By this time I was worn out again, so home again home again jiggety jig we soared, and I went to bed for an hour and slept once again. I find I am getting more tired as the treatments continue.

After meal #4 tonight, we walked around the block and now I am sitting in front of the fire that Cherry's husband built for me. They have gone out for a couple of hours. I hope to call Doug soon – tomorrow I get to see him when we make our way to Acadian country. Cherry and I are going to a retreat along with a lot of our friends from around the world. Doug and I will stay in our RV. I will not have internet on the weekend as far as I know, so I may not be able to post. On Sunday, Doug will bring the RV back to Europe to an RV park, where I will stay for the week with Brenda, my sister, who is coming from the southlands. We'll have some great adventures I'm sure, and will meet up with Nurse Cherry on occasion. Doug has to go back to Canada to work again. I'm not sure if I'll have internet at the trailer park or not. So if you don't hear from me, you'll know why.

I find the days long, but they are full of adventure and I know God gave me the idea of 'Europe' to make these days easier. I thank Cherry for being such a wonderful friend and selfless caregiver to me, and for Allan and Katie's love and care as well. Signing off for now… deb x0


 


 

No comments: