Wednesday 3 June 2009

Out of Africa and Into France

Jessica picked me up early this morning and we 'flew' to Europe again, and made it to the hospital just in time, after huffing and puffing down the long corridors. It was good to lie down and rest for a few minutes in the treatment room. After treatment we went for a walk in the park for awhile.

At noon, Nurse Cherry met us at the garden centre and we piled into the Cherrymobile for a picnic adventure at a local lake. Silver tablecloth, egg salad sandwiches, cherry tomatoes, cheese, grapes, almonds, vegetable cocktail, fresh peaches and my favorite, Pazia's Famous Dill Pickles, which I have to admit I can't get enough of. It was a beautiful luncheon. "OK, time to go again," Nurse Cherry exclaimed, as Jessica and I piled into the Cherrymobile once again. "Time for a song," she said, as The Lion Sleeps Tonight blared from the speakers (our adventures are always accompanied by appropriate music for the occasion). "I know where we're going," I thought – to Africa! I was correct and we arrived shortly thereafter. When Cherry pushes the turboboost button on her car, we can go anywhere fast, just like Batman and his car. Bug spray, backpack, camera – check! And the three of us made our way into the jungle for a safari adventure around the world. A cornucopia of animals and my camera started clicking away: a zebra from South Africa, llamas, Australian emu, pygmy goats, two majestic lions who were sleeping until I started singing The Lion Sleeps Tonight to them, a pacing tiger, huge burly yaks, monkeys that looked like they just came off of the Lion King movie set, tiny golden monkeys, a Russian reindeer (I tried to converse with it, but it wasn't interested in chatting), rabbits from the Netherlands, Vietnamese potbelly pigs (boy, are they ugly), Sicilian donkeys, and an amazing demonstration from a peacock as he strutted his stuff. I really wanted to see the gnu (how do you pronounce that, anyway?), but he must have been on vacation in Canada.

"I had a farm out of Africa," Meryl Streep said in the movie Out of Africa (one of my favorite movies). I felt like I had a farm, too, Meryl. It was quite a walk for me, and I was grateful to hobble to the Cherrymobile. We said so long to Jessica, who was off to another planet for a few days. We'll catch up with her on Friday. Home for a nap in The Oasis, and my bed which was waiting for me. I was very tired, and didn't think I would be able to have any more adventures today. Many times when I'm in that place, I have to remind myself that a little rest does wonders – for my emotions and my physical body. I'm learning – slowly – about rest.

Cherry picked up daughter Katie from work and they came to get me to take me to another part of Europe – this time, the beautiful country of France. We went to a fabulous café on the Hampton Road, Common's Creperie Cafe. Katie and I had the King Crepe, filled with chicken, swiss cheese, baby spinach, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and citrus dressing. Cherry had the Crepe Almighty, with spinach, asparagus, cheese and other veggies. Then we had dessert crepes, believe it or not, which were amazing. They have gluten-free and vegan options at the café, and 'handcraft' their meals for their customers. We would recommend it highly. We met one of the owners, Cheryl, who is also a teacher. She and her sister own and run the café. She encouraged me in my journey. I told her I think I'll bring my sister there next week. And that I would promote the café on the blog, so if you're in the area, check it out (I'll put the details at the end of this entry).

Cherry rearranged the family room so I could have a comfy chair to sit in. We're going to watch Wall-E tonight. Katie and Jessica both say it's a great movie – robots expressing emotion or something like that. Cherry has her doubts about that, but we'll soon find out if it's true or not. Cherry is off in her mobile again driving Katie to youth group. She's not only a nurse, she's a taxi. Oh, she's back already – I wonder if she'll let me go for a walk before the movie.

Check it out:     Common's Creperie Café, 11 Hampton Road, Rothesay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So funny you went to that place to eat. I've driven by and was curious what it was like! Now I know! -Angie