Wednesday 10 June 2009

Traveling the Range

Jed and Granny Clampett were ready to hightail it out of this noisy park in the centre of this busy metropolis at 9:30 this morning. We were hardly dressed, and Brenda's hair wasn't coiffed the way she likes it. She went all day looking like a wreck. I told her it was OK – look at my hair! She and I led the way out to the highway exit, across the toll bridge, and waved them on down the road towards home. As we circled back into town, we high-fived each other, as Jed sped on down the highway. We felt like a mama bird dropping her eaglets out of the sky to see if they could fly on their own, although we didn't stick around to see if they landed safely. We found out later that they made it home all in one piece. Good job, Jed.

We fired up the old grey mare, and to the hospital we trotted for radiation treatment #11, then on to Scotland again to do laundry at Cherry's Drop and Wash, to the Common Creperie for Thai Curry crepes, picked up the laundress and took her to the Red Whale Coffee shop for potent café mochas, that made my heart race and my face turn the colour of the red whale on the sign. (The red whale also has blue eyes like me. Plus my red Lancome purse matched the décor of the café, so everything was in sync). Brenda's eyes were like Mexican jumping eyes. Cherry seemed unaffected. Check out this amazing café if you're ever in Scotland town.

Shopping seemed to be in order for the next couple of hours and we ventured out to see what we could find. Brenda is really finding her way around the unusual pattern of streets and detours. I sit back and direct traffic with my hand. Around 5 pm, we decided to come back to the utilitarian park. Brenda became Martha Stewart and organized a few drawers in the RV while I rested on the couch. Then she prepared a feast for us from leftovers – fabulous, darling. After dinner, we enjoyed a hike around Lily Lake again (four times now in the past three days). We thought we were ready to call it a day, when we discovered her cell phone only had one dollar left on it. So, the old grey mare started up again, and we traveled down the hill to another grocery store we hadn't yet explored on this range of hills. Cell phone card, batteries, bread, cold sore medication and mouthwash –things you need to survive on the range.

Brenda is journaling in a new journal. I am journaling in an old journal – this blog. How long do you think I should continue? I should do a survey. Are you getting bored reading it yet?

Tomorrow's plans? Maybe a trek into the inner city and the market or maybe paint a Christmas craft B. picked up today, or do the Wonderword or Sudoku and wear our reading glasses. Maybe have a piece of cheesecake or two. Maybe go out to a fancy restaurant in the evening, maybe a movie. Maybe not. Only time will tell what will happen on the range.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Debbie, I'll be the first to answer your poll... please keep blogging! It is a wonderful part of my day, as I get to be a fly on the wall while you triumphantly battle and still continue to enjoy your life. You are a wonderful example and I thank you for sharing so much of youself. God is using you to bless so many, and remind us all that He is in control!

Becky said...

DO NOT stop! I love reading the adventures of the traveling pants. Your narration is fantastic and I feel like I am right there with you. Your ability to see this situation as a trip - an adventure - is inspiring. The English teacher in me says, "You MUST write!"
xox

Anonymous said...

What do you mean - Jed & Granny Clampet? Although I do see a resemblance. Guess who?