Thursday 11 June 2009

Searching for Baklava

Ellie May served me coffee in bed this morning, and I finally pulled myself to an upright position at 10 o'clock. I think I've stayed in bed that long about twice in my lifetime. I was tired this morning and didn't feel so great. Ellie May cleaned the mansion for a spell. I took a walk to get some air. Then we decided a trip to my favorite store was in order, so into the old grey mare again, looking for a Zellers on the range. Bought our boys some pants, which is a fitting gift, considering we are sisters of the traveling pants.

Ellie loves baklava, and I wanted her to have some before she went home to the old country. Nurse Cherry did some investigation the other day and saw that it was offered at a local restaurant that served Greek food. "We have time before my treatment. Let's go find it," I said. So, Ellie May was let loose again traveling through streets she done never seen before, until I spotted it. I ordered a Greek Village salad, and it looked like it would feed a village when the waiter plunked it down in front of me. One humungous quartered cucumber the size of a brick with a thousand seeds, about four huge quartered tomatoes, one whole onion, and four olives, with tiny jalapenos on the side. No lettuce whatsoever. Ellie's wasn't much better – a traditional Greek salad, sans cucumber, and lettuce that looked like they were too tired to pull it apart. All of a sudden, we became restaurant critics. Oh well, at least Ellie would be able to have her baklava. By this time, we needed to go to the hospital or I would miss my treatment time, so we asked for the bill, and Ellie asked if she could have baklava to go. The waiter, who was not really that into us, said, "There's no baklava," almost with disrespect for our desire for said dessert. "But, it said so in the phone book!" I pleaded. "Not today, there isn't," he replied. I wanted to tell him that's the only reason we came to the restaurant, but I didn't, and paid the bill. We gave the restaurant a 2/5, but we're not going to tell you where it is. Perhaps they were just having a bad day. I told Ellie that we would just stop at every restaurant in the hills and ask "Do you have baklava?" I wanted to stop at a Thai restaurant, but she wouldn't stop the old grey mare.

We hightailed it back over a different set of ranges. I want Ellie May to experience all that Europe has to offer so she will be thankful for her little eastern town. We made it in time. "Deborah," my fair-haired tech called. "Deborah," I mocked back. My new friends here at the hospital. I asked if they ever got bored with their job, because I'm bored with the same thing day in and day out. I tell them it's like the movie Groundhog Day. Call my name, come in, take off my robe, head in donut hole, arm in stirrup, machine movements, move the table up and down and all around like some carnival ride for older people (am I old yet?), zap, lead strip placed on chest, gel pack in position, arm in sleeve, sit up, sandals on, robe on, pick up appointment sheet, good-bye, see you tomorrow.

Well, by that time we were having withdrawal from the grocery market, so decided to go to one of three that we have frequented in these hills. A tiny old woman wearing an oxygen tube in her nose almost ran me over in her tiny car. She accelerated when she came close to me instead of slowing down. She had her friend in the passenger side. Perhaps she didn't see me, but she was lookin' right at me. Must have been Wilma and Betty goin' shoppin.'

Today at the market, we purchased ten litres of water, natural potato chips and Jiffy Kwik Cloths, overgrown peppermint-looking cloths that activate with water. Since I didn't have any rags in the RV, Ellie May thought I should have something to clean with. We'll have to make one grow tonight. Oh that reminds me, we didn't do our Christmas craft today. Ellie is into Suduko again.

Home again and Ellie May gave me a Crest Whitestrip to apply while I rested. I had a nap on the couch—I think the strip made me sleep. Ellie May bought the strips earlier this week so we would have something to do in the evenings. I slept, and Ellie May did some research and operated on her toe. Then, being the restaurant critics we are, we traveled to Italy, to Pazziata's, a local joint, for Pandoori Peppered Chicken, then walked up the Way to Pomodori's for Toasted Almond/Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Gelato. Nurse Cherry joined us and we had a few laughs.

But I still hadn't given up my desire to buy Ellie May some baklava. She came all this way to help me, and worked so hard taking care of me, I just want her to have her baklava. Surely you could find it in Europe? I had a sense that an Italian restaurant up the street would have some. "Drop me off at the door, and I'll run in and ask," I instructed. Ellie was pretty full by this time, but she gave in to my incessant need to acquire baklava for her. I love her, and I want to feed her. My intuition was correct and I came out with the bag of baklava held high – "Success!" She just shook her head and wasn't quite as excited as I thought she would be. I guess she might be a tad full. I told her that she'll probably eat it before bedtime, and there was also a cheesecake in the fridge that I want her to eat before she leaves on the ferry tomorrow.

Winnie just came home – well, I call it that. It's actually a Winnebago that comes and goes in the site beside us. Leaves in the morning and comes home at night, and sometimes it goes out for the evening. I think it drives itself, but Ellie May thinks someone lives in it. Every time it leaves, it has to disengage itself from the sewage system. It cracks me up and I find it a great source of amusement. Not a lot happening here, so I find amusement in small things.

Gandalf just walked by – at least he looks like him. I wonder if Frodo is near? Like I said, not much going on here.

A successful day. Another radiation round completed, and the search for baklava is over. Bon appétit, Ellie May!

Jethro

No comments: