Friday 19 June 2009

Wednesday, June 17th -- A milestone day: my mother's 70th birthday, and the end of radiation treatments and treatment in general. And the end of my European vacation!

Nurse Cherry and I took a walk around the streets of Scotland for the last time -- oh, what a beautiful morning it 'twas. I had to have a rest when we got back, but was soon up on my feet again and off we went to the gondola beach. We watched the morning pass and Cherry read to me. We prayed and off we went to meet Doug so he could join me in my final treatment. Nurse Cherry became Chauffeur Cherry as she donned my pink ball cap and put us in the back seat together. And off we went to the hospital for the final time.

Down the l o n g hall for the final walk to the radiation unit. After a bit of a wait, the technicians called my name for the final time. "C'mon, Doug," and I put my arm through his. We walked down the hall arm in arm to the treatment room, me in my gown and Doug in his street clothes. Not a wedding scene for sure, but man and woman in love, living out "in health and in sickness." I couldn't believe it -- was this really happening? Was it really my last treatment?

He came into the room and saw how they set me up, and the technicians took him out to the computer and explained the process as they radiated me for the final time -- Praise God! We were all smiles as we came out of the room and joined Nurse Cherry for our victory walk out of the hospital, even though there were many obstacles in our way as we made our way out of the hospital and into the Cherrymobile. We drove to the Superstore where Brenda and I shopped the most (by the rocky mountain crag), and where the old woman tried to run over me. Doug left his car there for the afternoon as we continued on the last European adventure. But before Chauffeur Cherry pushed the turbojet button on the cherrymobile, she went to the trunk and retrieved a brightly wrapped package, which she happily plunked down on my lap. I tore into it like a Christmas child and immediately began to cry as I opened up my very own "official NFL TOUCHDOWN" football! I wept and wept -- I had made a touchdown -- we made a touchdown -- everyone who has supported me in this battle made a touchdown. We joined hands in the Cherrymobile and prayed to our God who helped us through.

After I dried my tears, the three of us took off again to a French restaurant where we treated Nurse Cherry to a meal. She has been so good to me these past three weeks -- she has selflessly cared for me. If you ever need a nurse, you know who to call: "Nurse Cherry, Visiting Nurse." I think she should write a book (or a few books about her adventures). After lunch, the three of us went for a long walk on the red carpet down by the bay. And then it was time to say good-bye to our nurse and my European vacation. Chauffeur Cherry drove us back to the rocky mountain superstore and we said our farewells. I hate saying good-bye. I wish we could all just be together and not live so far apart, right Natalie?

Cherry drove away and we went into the grocery store to try and find some champagne to celebrate. (Canada Dry, the 'champagne of ginger ales,' that is). We decided to go to the washroom before heading back to 'Canada' and asked at the customer service desk where we would find such a room. "Out by the entrance or upstairs," she replied. For some reason, I chose the upstairs location, even though I was very tired from walking the red carpet down by the bay. But I pulled some more energy from deep within, and climbed the mountain of stairs. It was a single room washroom. Little did I know what was waiting inside -- a sign from God to me. I walked in the room and there it was -- a picture hanging on the wall -- a framed photograph of a beautiful rainbow. I exclaimed, "Oh, God -- You gave me a double rainbow a couple of weeks ago, and now today, on the last day of treatment, in the city where my treatment ended, in a store that I love to be in, you show me a rainbow -- a promise that all will be well." You know when God shows you something just for you. And you know? God speaks to me in the bathroom more than anywhere else. First the football, then the rainbow. I made Doug come in and see the photograph on the wall. If I'd had my camera, I would have photographed the photograph, but it is ingrained in my memory forever.

We drove to a service station to buy some Canada Dry and to Rockwood Park to see if our friends Roger and Mary were there, but they had gone home, so we said farewell to Europe and drove back to Canada. Went to see my parents and wish Mom a happy 70th birthday. Brenda and I bought her a couple of dogs for her 70th (ceramic dogs, that is -- one for outside and one for inside). We actually gave her something nicer than this last week when we were at Rockwood Park, but this was the funny gift. I had been teasing her that I was going to buy her a real dog so that it could take care of Dad.

We finally made it home to The Soul Cafe, and I began to weep -- so many emotions going through me, which I still haven't sorted through. Am I really done treatment? Am I OK? What do I do now? etc.

Ph. called me this morning to tell me that now is the time to rest and to have NO schedule or appointments -- that I've had more appointments than most people have in years. That my body now needs rest to heal, and my brain needs rest. I received what she said -- now if I can just remember it. I need to post signs around my house of things to remember. And a picture of a rainbow, too, to remind me of this day. Ph. is right, though, my body is tired and today (Friday) I've been exhausted, and spent all afternoon on Jessica's reclining lawnchair in her backyard. My brain has been on overload, I think, and now I need rest for my soul and my physical body. Next Friday I will meet with the gynecologist, to discuss the next step -- surgery again.

That's enough for today. I need to call Natalie and hear the sound of my beautiful daughter's voice.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and congratulations as I finish this segment of the journey. I so appreciate all of you. Continue to pray now for healing and restoration and that I can rest -- and rest in God's arms.

We are more than conquerors through Christ who gives us strength!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God...He is soo good! (((hugs)))
I was so happy to see you on Friday. I know you were tired, but honestly I couldn't tell. You looked wonderful, and it really made my day to see you and be able to hug you. :)

Love you,
Krista