Tuesday 16 June 2009

Let's Go to the Beach!

After an early breakfast, we drove Katie to work in the Cherrymobile, then for a tour along the coast before arriving at hospital for 10:30 radiation. "Good morning, Sunshine," I said cheerily to one of the radiation techs as I entered the room. "One more!" What WILL I do with myself if I can't go in there every day? Oh, I'm sure I'll find something. Dr. B. had told me that patients go through withdrawal symptoms when they feel they aren't coming in for some kind of treatment. What will it feel like tomorrow when I'm done? Doug will be with me for the last treatment at 1:15, then we will take Nurse Cherry to lunch to thank her for all she's done for me while I've been here in Europe.

Today's adventures included lunch and a long sit down rest on the rocky beach of Cyprus, a drive through the deep forest, standing atop the lookout trying to find falls that somehow reversed themselves (alas, they were not reversing at the time of our visit), a stop for iced coffee and ice cream, and another sit down on the sandy beach of Meenan's Cove in Scotland. Nurse Cherry's other occupation is that of a tour guide -- she knows the best attractions. I felt like a tour guide last night on my walk through the town. An SUV with three mature women stopped me and asked ME how to get to the falls that reversed, and without missing a beat, I pretended like a local and directed them to their destination. I was quite proud of myself. I actually felt like Mr. Bean (he pretends he's an expert on everything), and continued on my merry way down the street. I really enjoy the country of Scotland the most. Tomorrow morning we are going to yet another area in Scotland. The land is so green and lush, with sheep grazing on the hillside -- idyllic it 'tis. I feel like singing.

Tonight we enjoyed dinner on the deck. Right now I am listening to Katie teach piano to a teenage prodigy while I type on her laptop. In a few moments we are going out to the local movie joint to view the new movie, "UP," an animated movie. All I know is that it's about an old man with a balloon and a house that goes up into the sky. I'm feeling more laughter coming on -- we've had quite a bit today, but you can never have enough laughter in your life. "Laughter doeth good like a medicine." So true.

Allan will build us a bonfire after the movie on the back lawn in the new bonfire pit he built. Tonight is the last night here at the Oasis Hotel. I'm a bit sad, as we've had so much fun these past three weeks. God certainly has provided this place and the fun and activities to make it easier to go through. To get the time with sister Brenda last week was so special, too, and I told Nurse Cherry this morning how much I miss her. I miss my honey, too, and can't wait to see him tomorrow and share the end of treatment with him.

You know who else I miss? Our children -- Natalie (I haven't spoken with her for two weeks), Josh and Aiden, and Jon and Alicia, Afton, Jack and Ivy. I feel like I've been on another planet, not just another 'country.' I thank God for how He has brought me through these past three weeks. Now I must get prepared for re-entry into another phase of my life. Going home tomorrow will be like re-entering earth from space. Life is full of change, isn't it?

No comments: